You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Quality loss when converting vector art from 8/16 bit and back?

Do I have to be concerned about loosing information if I set the document color space to 8 bit design vector art in affinity designer and then switch the document setting up to 16 bit and later back to 8? Is this conversion lossless or do actual color values get changed on conversion?

I have accidently done that a few times and did not keep the original data. Thanks in advance.

8 bits give 256 discrete values, 16 bits give 65536 discrete values. So yes you will lose data, but don't worry about it if the final output is for 8 bits meaning the web or printing. I will work in 16 bits  and then export to 8 bits.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

The actual designs are later used in a video game, those sprites end up to be converted to 32 bit atlas in any way so that was the reason I upped to color space from 8 to 16 bits. Accidently I have done a back and forth between those two color spaces so I dont know if that had an impact at the chosen colors for the shapes.

Export will be in 16 bits.