You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there an easy way to do this?

I have a simple pattern I drew using curves, like a pencil drawing, (see the attachment). What I would like to do is apply some styles to the shapes created the by intersections of various lines. The idea is very simple, is there an easy way to implement it in Affinity Designer?

473A13A1-FE4B-4817-A474-480BDFE86B62.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Unfortunately, Designer doesn't have a Live Paint feature that would allow you paint inside the segments. However, you could jump into the Pixel Persona and use the paint brush to manually fill inside the segments. You could also perhaps use the Pen Tool to trace around each segment to create a new layer for each one and then use the colour panel to give it a fill - you can then move these layers to the back of the drawing for the black lines to appear on top.

Hope that helps.

On 11/19/2020 at 5:33 AM, Jan Peek said:

I have a simple pattern I drew using curves, like a pencil drawing, (see the attachment). What I would like to do is apply some styles to the shapes created the by intersections of various lines. The idea is very simple, is there an easy way to implement it in Affinity Designer?

Hi Jan.

The method that I am going to prescribe requires that you do the following:

1. Make sure that the lines inside the box are touching the borders of the box
  2. Reduce the thickness of those lines to the thinnest stroke weight possible (0.1pt)
  3. Select all the lines (both the box and the lines inside the box)
  4. From the Edit operations choose "Expand Stroke"
  5. From the Edit menu, Geometry commands click on "Add" 
  6. From the Edit menu, Geometry commands click on "Divide" 

Your artwork is now divided into separate pieces and you can now edit it to your heart's content!

But please note that this method will leave behind subtle gaps between the artwork pieces… You can try to compensate this shortcoming by selecting all the pieces inside the rectangle and adding to each one a stroke of 0.1pt. Ensure that each stroke matches the colour of your fill or style.

2 hours ago, william said:
  • Make sure that the lines inside the box are touching the borders of the box
  • Reduce the thickness of those lines to the thinnest stroke weight possible (0.1pt)
  • Select all the lines (both the box and the lines inside the box)
  • From the Edit operations choose "Expand Stroke"
  • From the Edit menu, Geometry commands click on "Add" 
  • From the Edit menu, Geometry commands click on "Divide" 

Further to Williams solution, if you want to retain the black lines,  just group and duplicate the original line layer, and proceed with the method, then move the original line layer to the front of the layer stack

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk