You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello Everyone
Hello Team

I think it is time to think about bring an internal tool/function that will allow users to backup their full #Designer #Photo #Publisher profile and restore that full backup when needed.
I mean, it often happened to me (and I guess to many) to be called on reinstalling my PC (windows actually) and find out I have to redo everything from the very beginning and considering my personal collection of assets, brushes, palettes etc. have i'm an unexpected way over the years ... I'm spending an hour or more to make everything work as expected or just be back like on my previous setup and this goes also for tab/studio alignment etc

Really it's something different which is need to make this happen and former Adobe products will agree with that it's just painful to set everything back to the right place we want them.
if in any case this was asked or there is an existing topics on this already please admins, feel free to move this in there as I personally couldn't find where to insert this and chosed to create a new topic.

Hope this will happen at some stages and make a lot of people happy.
Blessings !

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

8 minutes ago, stewart_whaley said:

Wonder if this could be done using Affinity's new user account login functionality? If Affinity gave the option to store these settings/preferences in the, "cloud" that would certainly allow your request.

Better choice would be locally then each user can upload to cloud service he already subscribed to

Never be the Same Again !
---
Dell Optiplex 5090 SFF
Intel Core i5-10500T @2.30GHz with 12GiB 2666MHz DDR4
Intel UHD Graphics 630 for 10th Generation
M.2 2280, 512 GB, PCIe NVMe Gen3 x4, Class 40 SSD

Windows 11 Pro x64 22H2 + LibreOffice 7.5.3

49 minutes ago, Uncle Mez said:

Better choice would be locally then each user can upload to cloud service he already subscribed to

Yes, it would be nice for Serif to provide a simple way of exporting all the user settings as a flat file and a way of importing them again. Or something using the Affinity Store account, as the 1.9 betas have recently begun supporting for some functions.

In the meantime, if you're already making full-system backups, you can simply restore the appropriate directory from that backup, or migrate the directory to a different system.

If you're not, then you can backup the appropriate directory (which depends on the OS and where you purchased the application(s)). The FAQ below provides information on where that "user" directory is located. This may help, for now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I would not be surprised if they are working toward some sort of unified solution for saving your settings for use on another device. In the current 1.9 betas, they have been working on saving workspaces and on creating online account sync (currently only for purchased brushes, with hints that more will eventually come). These two things seem like they could ultimately be parts of a broader project to allow syncing of settings via an account.

Or if I am wrong in my interpretation, let it stand as a feature request: I would eventually like to be able to have my apps synchronized across devices (or even across different Affinity apps of the same device, where common settings would make sense).

Personally, I would rather have a sync service based on accounts instead of a manual export and import, as it would automatically take care of synchronization for me rather than require a manual operation to export from one app and reimport for all other apps. However, a manual export might be the preference of others, and would be necessary for sharing exports with other people.

24 minutes ago, stewart_whaley said:

I wonder how best to handle Assets?

"Best" in what sense? 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1