You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HELP.

I'm having this problem with one Publisher file. At about 3:30 pm today it started happening. I'm getting the following error messages (Screen Shots).

It's a 52 page magazine layout. Nothing different than I've been doing for the past year. I'm not sure if this has to do with the latest upgrade (Publisher 1.8.6  on a MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7)

I had to rebuild the file. I decided to save copies every 4 minutes or when a major task was completed. Continues to happen. I open alternate file. Work on that. Multiple saves. I've gone back and forth a few times with one being corrupted and unable to open so I open second copy and continue working. The last 6 pages are proving to be a roadblock. I PLACE about 24 photos and as I populate the pages everything goes fine either until I try to save or when the last of the photos is being placed. I can provide you with the file if you provide me with a link.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.36.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.36.48 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 8.36.53 PM.png

Dannyg9 have you tried removing:  # - ++/ characters from your file name? - worth a try

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

2 hours ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Dannyg9 have you tried removing:  # - ++/ characters from your file name? - worth a try

I think that may have solved the problem. I say think, because I'm waiting for another crash (this type of thing makes one anxious). I removed "@", "(" , and ")" from the seemingly affected file's names (24 in total). I placed them in batches of 5 and double saving to make sure I wouldn't have to go back to the last saved version (6 blank pages out of 50). I have to wonder if this is an actual problem with the software or if it was a problem with one or more of the 24 tiff files I was placing.

That all said, for the time being, Thank YOU so much Dazmondo77! Simple suggestion but effective.

Fingers crossed it's sorted mate -

I remember I was having similar problems a fair while ago, I think as far back as InDesign CS3 with a document with a few / / * in the file name - did a bit of research, got rid of the characters and problem solved - I think it may be be an OS wide problem from what I remember but some files seem to be fine -  🤞

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

www.bingercreative.co.uk

After a lot of praying I was finally able to access and view my file.  I'm not exactly sure all of what happened internally in designer for about a 26-36 hr time frame... but I let the computer sit, did a few hard reboots and eventually - after several tries - it all came back together.  Normally with affinity designer if there's a sudden crash/loss of power... 99% of the time AD will save even when I don't save it so that when I re-open my files everything is there.  In this case, it jus' didn't do it right away and was giving me the error msg that the file was corrupted... so bizarre and unfortunate in those moments... and my doc was hanging out there, unaccessible in crash mode for a long while...  hope everyone gets their issues resolved...  peace out!

7 minutes ago, LaJuanda said:

After a lot of praying I was finally able to access and view my file.  I'm not exactly sure all of what happened internally in designer for about a 26-36 hr time frame... but I let the computer sit, did a few hard reboots and eventually - after several tries - it all came back together.  Normally with affinity designer if there's a sudden crash/loss of power... 99% of the time AD will save even when I don't save it so that when I re-open my files everything is there.  In this case, it jus' didn't do it right away and was giving me the error msg that the file was corrupted... so bizarre and unfortunate in those moments... and my doc was hanging out there, unaccessible in crash mode for a long while...  hope everyone gets their issues resolved...  peace out!

For the time being, I've reinstalled Publisher Version 1.8.4 and so far with that there's no problems. I'll give the hard reboots a try but for now, I'm on deadline and I can't afford the time to dedicate to the possibility that my problem will be solved as it was for you. I've had the same experience with Affinity programs saving my file if there's been some sort of interruption. This one is different (maybe until I try the multiple reboots). I think there's a bug lurking about somewhere.

You may be absolutely correct... I know that many ppl, including myself & on these forums, are having some truly bizarre technical things going on, .  Ex. I took a dear friend's iMac to some professionals a few weeks back to fix -- they said it was a software issue (not hardware) so we thought all was well -- when she got the computer it crashed again in about 3 days... so that's why I think you're right about the 'bug lurking somewhere'... the real question is where though.  And my issue was totally out of the blue... bizarre indeed.   Any who... I hope it all gets resolved for you soon... take care.

3 hours ago, LaJuanda said:

You may be absolutely correct... I know that many ppl, including myself & on these forums, are having some truly bizarre technical things going on, .  Ex. I took a dear friend's iMac to some professionals a few weeks back to fix -- they said it was a software issue (not hardware) so we thought all was well -- when she got the computer it crashed again in about 3 days... so that's why I think you're right about the 'bug lurking somewhere'... the real question is where though.  And my issue was totally out of the blue... bizarre indeed.   Any who... I hope it all gets resolved for you soon... take care.

My issue was out of the blue as well, although it occurred AFTER I installed Publisher 1.8.6

I'm reminded that Version Upgrades can often have unknown bugs (software programs are in a state of constant evolution). Hopefully Serif will address this. Thanks for confirming I'm not the only experiencing these glitches. Again, going back to 1.8.4 has proved the best move for now as its stable.

11 hours ago, dannyg9 said:

My issue was out of the blue as well, although it occurred AFTER I installed Publisher 1.8.6

I'm reminded that Version Upgrades can often have unknown bugs (software programs are in a state of constant evolution). Hopefully Serif will address this. Thanks for confirming I'm not the only experiencing these glitches. Again, going back to 1.8.4 has proved the best move for now as its stable.

Phew nearly ran the 1.8.6 update just now but just read this and cancelled - Cheer's Dannyg9 looks like you saved me possible grief - I nearly updated a few days ago in the middle of finishing an album cover that had a deadline for Wednesday morning 18th - boy am I glad I turned off auto update on MAS - there seems to be a lot of this going on, although I had it a week or so ago where I saved a copy of a publisher 1.8.4  job to desktop which had the same corruption issue, I just brushed it off as I had already saved to a work storage drive and was able to open and Finnish the job without issue

Dannyg9 have you tried opening a copy in beta 1.9+ ?

Daz1.png

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

Phew nearly ran the 1.8.6 update just now but just read this and cancelled - Cheer's Dannyg9 looks like you saved me possible grief - I nearly updated a few days ago in the middle of finishing an album cover that had a deadline for Wednesday morning 18th - boy am I glad I turned off auto update on MAS - there seems to be a lot of this going on, although I had it a week or so ago where I saved a copy of a publisher 1.8.4  job to desktop which had the same corruption issue, I just brushed it off as I had already saved to a work storage drive and was able to open and Finnish the job without issue

Dannyg9 have you tried opening a copy in beta 1.9+ ?

Daz,

I have not tried beta 1.9. I'd like to but until I'm past my deadline and I upload the magazine to the printer in a little over 2 weeks, I'm sticking with 1.8.4. I can't chance losing any more time, whether its a software issue or a single issue with the one file. Once I have breathing room I'll revisit what's going on.

Hi everyone,

The app crashes every time I try to adjust a picture inside a picture box.

I started from a previous file (the one I sent you MEB). I redid the entire layout putting everything back together and once again this is a major let down. This application is not working properly.

I thought a new computer would solve the problem it doesn’t.

This is due tomorrow morning. I spent the entire weekend working on this thing. It is 23:18 local time and this thing is going nowhere.

If you need I can send you the crash report.

3 hours ago, JoaoCarvalho said:

Delivered. The beta version is much faster. No issues so far.

I sympathize. I'm not rocking the cradle until I've got the magazine done, and stepping back to 1.8.4 is working soundly for me. Once I'm past the delivery upload I'll give the 1.9 Beta a shot. Between you problems and the one's I'm experiencing, the problem is unknown at this point. Could be the software, could be a combination of software/OS version/particular machines its running on.

Wise decision. Good luck.

37 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

I sympathize. I'm not rocking the cradle until I've got the magazine done, and stepping back to 1.8.4 is working soundly for me. Once I'm past the delivery upload I'll give the 1.9 Beta a shot. Between you problems and the one's I'm experiencing, the problem is unknown at this point. Could be the software, could be a combination of software/OS version/particular machines its running on.

Yes... sending you the best... hope it all works out soon.  There is something 'lurking' though... starting to see where other software (non-affinity) also having issues that were not there until recently... truly strange.

Regardless... hoping for the best for you J.C., what you say makes sense... stick to your sound judgement on this as an 'unknown' til you know for sure.