You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

1.9.0.852 crashing

• Staff
21 minutes ago, BartHovis said:

I've tried a few different Beta builds, but in every case when I attempt to open a file AP crashes.  My GPU is Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super, perhaps it's not supported, but would this latest Beta fix the crashing problem?

hopefully. If it still crashes then the place to start is a CTRL+run-up . Other than that before you create or open a document turn hardware acceleration off in performance and try again

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

hopefully. If it still crashes then the place to start is a CTRL+run-up . Other than that before you create or open a document turn hardware acceleration off in performance and try again

Thanks, Patrick.  I'll try the newest Beta later, but assuming all goes well and the file opens, will I still be getting GPU acceleration?  Also, if my GPU is unsupported, are there plans to add additional GPUs?

3 hours ago, BartHovis said:

I've tried a few different Beta builds, but in every case when I attempt to open a file AP crashes.  My GPU is Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Super, perhaps it's not supported, but would this latest Beta fix the crashing problem?

I have that graphics card, and it works fine - so might need a few more details from you (or a crash report). Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest Studio drivers?

16 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I have that graphics card, and it works fine - so might need a few more details from you (or a crash report). Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the latest Studio drivers?

Mark, I just tried Beta 1.9.0.852 and have the same results as all previous betas - AP crashes instantly upon selecting a file to open (any type of file).  My system is: most current Windows 10 update, Intel Core i9, 32 GB ram, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 super with current Studio driver (installed just today).  If I go to preferences and set the Renderer to Intel UHD Graphics 630 I am able to open files, but that rather defeats the purpose.  Please let me know what other information would help.  I don't know where to look for a crash report.

• Staff

Hey BartHovis,

I've split your post off so we can keep this more focused.

Can you please provide your current Nvidia driver version? Can you also confirm if you're using the Game Ready drivers or the Studio driver.

Please also provide a crash report. They can be found here:

Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

Ideally, make it crash again and attach the one at the top if sorted by date modified to make sure we have the correct one.

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

Hey BartHovis,

I've split your post off so we can keep this more focused.

Can you please provide your current Nvidia driver version? Can you also confirm if you're using the Game Ready drivers or the Studio driver.

Please also provide a crash report. They can be found here:

Go to %AppData%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports\reports

You can acccess the AppData folder by pressing the Windows key + R on your keyboard and then just type %AppData%

Ideally, make it crash again and attach the one at the top if sorted by date modified to make sure we have the correct one.

Hi Chris,

I've attached a .dmp file that was just generated.  I am using Nvidia Studio driver 457.30, just installed yesterday.

Thanks, 

Bart

da2058e6-8945-4106-bf29-bde6b610d162.dmp

7 hours ago, BartHovis said:

Hi Chris,

I've attached a .dmp file that was just generated.  I am using Nvidia Studio driver 457.30, just installed yesterday.

Thanks, 

Bart

da2058e6-8945-4106-bf29-bde6b610d162.dmp 4.45 MB · 2 downloads

I've just looked at the crash dump, and it's crashing inside the NVIDIA driver. 

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to see if that works? We often find that an uninstall and reinstall works better than just updating the drivers.

9 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

I've just looked at the crash dump, and it's crashing inside the NVIDIA driver. 

Could you try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers to see if that works? We often find that an uninstall and reinstall works better than just updating the drivers.

I just used the GeForce app to do a Reinstall, which did an Uninstall before reinstalling, so I assume the driver was properly uninstalled before it was reinstalled.  AP Beta still crashed when trying to open a file.  I attached the crash report - file ending in 08319fa.dmp  I kept trying to open files, and on the third or fourth try a file opened, I did some editing in the Develop Persona but it crashed after a couple adjustments.  I'm also sending the report for that crash too, file ending in 8729.dmp

Thanks,

Bart

ea316f77-2e59-4f55-b5a1-04d4e9578729.dmp

a24f562c-158b-44de-8c9a-a69de08319fa.dmp

Thanks @BartHovis - it looks like you might be using Capture One. We've seen customers complain of this same crash when using their thumbnail provider. Could you either disable their thumbnail provider, or, temporarily uninstall Capture One? Also, could you try doing File | New and seeing if that works? i.e. is it only crashing when picking an existing document to open?

4 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @BartHovis - it looks like you might be using Capture One. We've seen customers complain of this same crash when using their thumbnail provider. Could you either disable their thumbnail provider, or, temporarily uninstall Capture One? Also, could you try doing File | New and seeing if that works? i.e. is it only crashing when picking an existing document to open?

I'm not sure what the Capture One thumbnail provider is, but I turned off thumbnails in Windows File Explorer (after restarting computer) and was able to open and edit files in AP Beta without crashing.  I then turned thumbnails back on, and still no crashing.  So I'm not sure if this is the thumbnails you were referring to, but for now it's working well.  I have both Capture One v20 and Beta v21, but have not uninstalled either since AP Beta is not crashing now. 

One other issue: the Highlights slider in Develop Persona (under Shadows & Highlights) does nothing.

So far, so good, but I'll keep working and see how it goes...

Thanks,

Bart

23 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'd be interested to know if it continues to work after a reboot?

I just installed a Beta update for Capture One 21 and rebooted the computer.  When first run after a new install, C1 spends a few minutes configuring hardware acceleration, and I was worried this might cause trouble with AP Beta.  However I spent about 10 minutes trying various things in AP (open/close files, several adjustments), and no crashing.   All appears to be well now...

Thanks,

Bart

Well, things were going well this morning, but the crashing has returned.  It appears that it will crash when I do File->Open (the file will open but AP crashes when doing any editing).  However, if I open a file using File->Open Recent, I can edit and save files with no crashing.  I'm attaching the most recent Crash Reports.

d46bbefb-c713-4d41-ab57-cb44876d2240.dmp

2 hours ago, BartHovis said:

Well, things were going well this morning, but the crashing has returned.  It appears that it will crash when I do File->Open (the file will open but AP crashes when doing any editing).  However, if I open a file using File->Open Recent, I can edit and save files with no crashing.  I'm attaching the most recent Crash Reports.

d46bbefb-c713-4d41-ab57-cb44876d2240.dmp 6.48 MB · 0 downloads

Yes that's what I suspected, it will only crash after showing the Open or Save dialogs. This does indeed sound like the bug caused by Capture One.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.