You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HOW to fill Vectors by having only borders available

Hi everybody, 

first of all I'm not professional at using Affinity right now :D but keen to improve. 

I've come to a point where I don't know how to proceed or not sure if there is a more clever way in doing it.

My Target: 

I would like to fill in all enclosed areas in a vector frame. And have borders and the enclosed areas as seperate vectors.

The vector consists only of borders surronding empty areas.

My Problem Vector :D

Below u find a vector work, where I would like to fill all enclosed areas with white while ( not really a must have but would be nice to have) [ and the surrondings should be black as an border.]

Currently I do the following:

1. ADD funktion so i get one big Vector where all borders are connected

2. I subtract this big vector from a new white layer in the very back. 

3. Then I use the split up function to split this into pieces 

4. Deleting superimposed layers -manual work- Sometimes difficult and not possible sometimes crazy vector failurs... 

5. Sometimes usable results... 

Maybe you have a more sufficient way in solving my problem.

*Incase this has been mentioned already I'm very sorry but I didn't find it using the search function.*

Thank you in advance for your input!

PS.: Very best from Germany stay healty. 

Silent. 

Target.PNG

Unbenannt2.PNG

Unbenannt3.PNG

Unbenannt4.PNG

Unbenannt5.PNG

Unbenannt6.PNG.cacc46ecac5e9a60c8dead51caac3684.PNG

Unbenannt6.PNG

4 minutes ago, Silentgr33n said:

Hi Anon2,

thank you for your answer.

Indeed, this looks like an more simple solution than mine but than I have to buy adobe software :( because this is illustrator. 

Is the same process not possible in Affinity Design /Photo / Illustrator? 

Very best

Silent. 

I use Affinity, not Adobe. Maybe you are reading somebody else's messages somewhere. I even provided an Affinity file (containing a yellow star) with history in it so the process can be stepped through.

Just 1 min earlyer I recognized it. :) Thank's mate! for helping me out! ... I have recognized that there are still some errors but it is still an solution and more quicker. 

One thing which is still a problem after adding the vectors they sometimes apear as seen in the pictur, maybe you know why this happens and how to tackle this.

Very best

Silent

Unbenannt.PNG

1 hour ago, Silentgr33n said:

One thing which is still a problem after adding the vectors they sometimes apear as seen in the pictur, maybe you know why this happens and how to tackle this.

It will be easier to help if you provide a simple example Affinity document where the problem arises. The document needs to be in the state before attempting the method that I suggested.

Thanks for the file. The problem is Affinity's poor destructive Boolean operations. They became even less reliable in the 1.8.x versions of the apps. Fortunately, the non-destructive Boolean operations are more robust (I think they use code from 1.7.x) and solve your problem.

Hold down the opt/alt key when invoking a Boolean operation to create a Compound, which is a type of group which non-destructively combines its member shapes. Then the Convert To Curves commmand can be used to convert the Compound to a single Curves object as if a destructive Boolean command had been used.

Attached is an Affinity document containing history which you can rewind then step through to see how I solved your problem by creating a temporary Compound instead of doing a destructive Add. Note that the first step was to delete the unnecessary rectangle which is the same size as the canvas. I also deleted the two Group objects at the end because they were empty at that stage.

6723 with history.afdesign

Edited by anon2
attachment changed

@anon2 There is no history with your file. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions