Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer & tried customizing a brush but didnt work. I tried creating a new brush & customizing it, didnt work too. I tried closing the software and reopen it, didnt work as well. What to do now?!! 

ps: I tried customizing existed brushed and did !

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, Starfire said:

So no solution ?!

Are you using a mouse or a drawing tablet?

And what Controller have you selected in the Context Toolbar for the Brush Tool? If you've selected:

  • None, there will be no variance.
  • Pressure, then there will be no variance unless you have a pressure-sensitive stylus.
  • Velocity, then there will be variance based on the speed of the brush stroke when using a mouse.
  • Automatic, I think, will base the variance on the Pressure Curve you choose in the dialog.

 

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/25/2020 at 2:43 AM, walt.farrell said:

Are you using a mouse or a drawing tablet?

And what Controller have you selected in the Context Toolbar for the Brush Tool? If you've selected:

  • None, there will be no variance.
  • Pressure, then there will be no variance unless you have a pressure-sensitive stylus.
  • Velocity, then there will be variance based on the speed of the brush stroke when using a mouse.
  • Automatic, I think, will base the variance on the Pressure Curve you choose in the dialog.

 

Using a Wacom tablet & the pressure feature is selected & nothing changing. No customizing at all vector brushes except for the size. No matter what I change in the setting brushes remain the same.brushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That may help get us closer to resolving your problem. You're not painting a stroke, you're trying to modify an existing stroke, which is a totally different operation.

I don't think you can adjust the Opacity or Size Variance of a vector brush stroke you've already painted (though others will know more about that than I do). It should work if you make your adjustments then paint the stroke.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 20H2 (19042.685),
   Desktop: 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00GHz, GeForce GTX 970
   Laptop (2021-04-06):  32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz
, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU
Affinity Photo 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.4.1048 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.9.2.1035 and 1.9.2.1024 Beta

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That may help get us closer to resolving your problem. You're not painting a stroke, you're trying to modify an existing stroke, which is a totally different operation.

I don't think you can adjust the Opacity or Size Variance of a vector brush stroke you've already painted (though others will know more about that than I do). It should work if you make your adjustments then paint the stroke.

The brush parameters of a textured stroke are entirely modifiable. The stroke needs to have a pressure curve to make its brush's size and opacity variance be effective.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Starfire said:

Using a Wacom tablet & the pressure feature is selected & nothing changing. No customizing at all vector brushes except for the size. No matter what I change in the setting brushes remain the same.brushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpg

 

Seems likely that your selected path has no pressure curve in its stroke.

Please include the Stroke Panel in a screenshot of the size and opacity variance failing to be effective.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anon2 said:

 

Seems likely that your selected path has no pressure curve in its stroke.

Please include the Stroke Panel in a screenshot of the size and opacity variance failing to be effective.

1st image I tried changing the pressure from the brush window didnt also show a new result. 2nd photo already changed the pressure manually from the stroke pannel & the opacity, the size changed & the opacity changed from only one side not both as the Brushes panel displays. & If I try to draw a new brush stroke It doesnt adapt to the new edits.

aff4.jpg

aff5.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting...I just tried this with some personal brushes....been avoiding using pressure setting as it can lock up AD But...
1. Choose your brush
2. Draw paint (keep selected!)
3. Set pressure to active in context menu (works)
4. Being able to adjust with brush setting window also worked for me!....although Controller on the context menu was set to brush defaults!  [This changes your brush settings!]

AD 1.9.1.979+ Beta AD 1.9.4.1048 | APh 1.9.1.979 + Beta AP 1.9.4.1048
APu 1.9.2.1035 +Beta Apu 1.9.2 2024

OS:Windows 10 Pro 20H2 OS Build 19042.789 + Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 20.11.2 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Starfire said:

1st image I tried changing the pressure from the brush window didnt also show a new result. 2nd photo already changed the pressure manually from the stroke pannel & the opacity, the size changed & the opacity changed from only one side not both as the Brushes panel displays. & If I try to draw a new brush stroke It doesnt adapt to the new edits.

aff4.jpg

aff5.jpg

 

Ignore the square profile editor inside the brush editor for now. The pressure profile to consider at this moment is the one for the stroke and it is in the Stroke panel.

Your new screenshots confirm what I said earlier. A stroke needs to have a pressure profile (other than the default horizontal line), otherwise there can be no modulation of the width or opacity of the stroke.

The brush editor is showing a preview of how the brush will look on an example path where the stroke pressure profile is hump-shaped; it does not show a preview of your actual path that is selected.

When you draw a new path, if it doesn't have a pressure profile then there will be no variation in its width or opacity, regardless of the edits you made in the brush editor prior to drawing the path.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

A very useful discussion. I think I may be almost there using a mouse.

I have managed to get some variation in the width and opacity of a line by setting the context controller to velocity .... BUT ....

By moving my mouse as fast as humanly possible across the whole screen, I get up to abut 25% of the full width of the line...
How can I make Affinity realise I really do want to get a thick line if I move quickly while retaining some control of where the mouse is going across the desk 🙂

edit - I also cannot find a context controller for the pixel brush equivalent --- are pixel brushes not supported for mouse?

Win 10 PC 64bit.  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note there is currently a delay in replying to some post. See pinned thread in the Questions forum. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.