You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector Brush customizing doesn't work

I downloaded the trial version of Affinity Designer & tried customizing a brush but didnt work. I tried creating a new brush & customizing it, didnt work too. I tried closing the software and reopen it, didnt work as well. What to do now?!! 

ps: I tried customizing existed brushed and did !

On 11/22/2020 at 4:19 PM, Starfire said:

So no solution ?!

Are you using a mouse or a drawing tablet?

And what Controller have you selected in the Context Toolbar for the Brush Tool? If you've selected:

• None, there will be no variance.
  • Pressure, then there will be no variance unless you have a pressure-sensitive stylus.
  • Velocity, then there will be variance based on the speed of the brush stroke when using a mouse.
  • Automatic, I think, will base the variance on the Pressure Curve you choose in the dialog.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/25/2020 at 2:43 AM, walt.farrell said:

Are you using a mouse or a drawing tablet?

And what Controller have you selected in the Context Toolbar for the Brush Tool? If you've selected:

• None, there will be no variance.
  • Pressure, then there will be no variance unless you have a pressure-sensitive stylus.
  • Velocity, then there will be variance based on the speed of the brush stroke when using a mouse.
  • Automatic, I think, will base the variance on the Pressure Curve you choose in the dialog.

Using a Wacom tablet & the pressure feature is selected & nothing changing. No customizing at all vector brushes except for the size. No matter what I change in the setting brushes remain the same.brushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpg

That may help get us closer to resolving your problem. You're not painting a stroke, you're trying to modify an existing stroke, which is a totally different operation.

I don't think you can adjust the Opacity or Size Variance of a vector brush stroke you've already painted (though others will know more about that than I do). It should work if you make your adjustments then paint the stroke.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

That may help get us closer to resolving your problem. You're not painting a stroke, you're trying to modify an existing stroke, which is a totally different operation.

I don't think you can adjust the Opacity or Size Variance of a vector brush stroke you've already painted (though others will know more about that than I do). It should work if you make your adjustments then paint the stroke.

The brush parameters of a textured stroke are entirely modifiable. The stroke needs to have a pressure curve to make its brush's size and opacity variance be effective.

18 hours ago, Starfire said:

Using a Wacom tablet & the pressure feature is selected & nothing changing. No customizing at all vector brushes except for the size. No matter what I change in the setting brushes remain the same.brushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpgbrushes.jpg.8045a911f28a14a91fcdeb1bd0ae2c59.jpg

Seems likely that your selected path has no pressure curve in its stroke.

Please include the Stroke Panel in a screenshot of the size and opacity variance failing to be effective.

2 hours ago, anon2 said:

Seems likely that your selected path has no pressure curve in its stroke.

Please include the Stroke Panel in a screenshot of the size and opacity variance failing to be effective.

1st image I tried changing the pressure from the brush window didnt also show a new result. 2nd photo already changed the pressure manually from the stroke pannel & the opacity, the size changed & the opacity changed from only one side not both as the Brushes panel displays. & If I try to draw a new brush stroke It doesnt adapt to the new edits.

aff4.jpg

aff5.jpg

Interesting...I just tried this with some personal brushes....been avoiding using pressure setting as it can lock up AD But...
1. Choose your brush
2. Draw paint (keep selected!)
3. Set pressure to active in context menu (works)
4. Being able to adjust with brush setting window also worked for me!....although Controller on the context menu was set to brush defaults!  [This changes your brush settings!]

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.1 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.4 2.2356
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

37 minutes ago, Starfire said:

1st image I tried changing the pressure from the brush window didnt also show a new result. 2nd photo already changed the pressure manually from the stroke pannel & the opacity, the size changed & the opacity changed from only one side not both as the Brushes panel displays. & If I try to draw a new brush stroke It doesnt adapt to the new edits.

aff4.jpg

aff5.jpg

Ignore the square profile editor inside the brush editor for now. The pressure profile to consider at this moment is the one for the stroke and it is in the Stroke panel.

Your new screenshots confirm what I said earlier. A stroke needs to have a pressure profile (other than the default horizontal line), otherwise there can be no modulation of the width or opacity of the stroke.

The brush editor is showing a preview of how the brush will look on an example path where the stroke pressure profile is hump-shaped; it does not show a preview of your actual path that is selected.

When you draw a new path, if it doesn't have a pressure profile then there will be no variation in its width or opacity, regardless of the edits you made in the brush editor prior to drawing the path.

• 2 months later...

A very useful discussion. I think I may be almost there using a mouse.

I have managed to get some variation in the width and opacity of a line by setting the context controller to velocity .... BUT ....

By moving my mouse as fast as humanly possible across the whole screen, I get up to abut 25% of the full width of the line...
How can I make Affinity realise I really do want to get a thick line if I move quickly while retaining some control of where the mouse is going across the desk 🙂

edit - I also cannot find a context controller for the pixel brush equivalent --- are pixel brushes not supported for mouse?

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.