You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nested picture frame from master page disappears when image is placed in it

tillulen

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a document with a master page.
  2. On the master page, create two picture frames at the same coordinates.
  3. Using the Layers panel, drag one picture frame into the other so that it becomes the other frame’s content.
  4. If you are using the attached file, start here.
  5. On a regular document page, select the inner picture frame using the Layers panel.
  6. Place an image into the inner picture frame.

Expected: the image would be placed.

Actual result: the inner picture frame disappears from the Layers panel as if it was deleted. Only the outer picture frame remains. The image is not placed on the page. The image is not found in the Resource Manager.

This is Publisher 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10.

I have a use case for using nested picture frames in a publication, so this is not just a weird corner case. I would like to use the inner picture frame to manually crop and rotate an original image and the outer frame to automatically fine-tune its dimensions to my grid as I’m experimenting with different grids and layouts. In that scenario, the inner frames would have scaling turned off and the outer frames would be set to Scale to Maximum Fit.

Nested picture frames on master page.afpub

Thanks for including a description of your use-case.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi @Gabe. Thanks for the quick response.

I’m already using constraints both with constraints groups and picture frames, but I’m by no means proficient with constraints yet. Is there any reason why I should prefer a constraints group with a single child to a picture frame? It looks like they are mostly interchangeable when the child is a regular object (not a raw image).

Anyway, the bug also occurs when I use a constraints group instead of the outer picture frame. The inner picture frame within the group disappears as soon as I try to place something into it. Please let me know if you need a sample file for that case.

• Staff
16 hours ago, tillulen said:

Anyway, the bug also occurs when I use a constraints group instead of the outer picture frame. The inner picture frame within the group disappears as soon as I try to place something into it. Please let me know if you need a sample file for that case.

Yes please. it seems to be fine here with this set-up:

image.png