You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help need to restore this photo

• Staff

Hi @castabal,

I've had a quick go and attached the results.  I'm sure if others have had a try, they will post as well :) 

I just the Inpainting brush to remove as many marks on the image i could and then added a Black and White adjustment Layer for the final stage.  

Depending on the look you are going for, you could just open the image and use the Auto Levels, Auto Contrast, Auto Colours and White balance which would keep some of the sepia effect of the image and then use the Inpainting brush to tidy it up the marks on the image.  

restore.tiff

Curious: What kind of gathering is that? Noticed almost everyone is wearing the same hat.

Would it be possible to get a scan of the photo? I ask because there appear to be reflections on of some sort over the photo. Restoration would become much more difficult trying to remove those reflections as well as restoring the image. You'll notice they still show up in your image really strong in the bottom half of the image.

Without what appear to be reflections it should be a relatively easy restoration. For instance, there is something that resembles a leaf or feather being reflected on the image and the reflection of either a white wall or ceiling has blown out the face of the man on the top right of the image.

I know scanners are older technology, but until they devise a camera that can avoid reflections they aren't the right tool for the job of duplicating an image.

I will scan the image and upload today. The photo is from  June 1920. The people on the photo are the Senators of Izmir/Manisa (Aegean Region)  from the first Senate formed by new Turkish Republic. I have identified most of the people on the photo with the exception of the first two on the front row. They are wearing Ottoman Fez (Fes) hats. The hats are deep burgundy color and made of cashmere felt. The gentleman with a scar on his right cheek is the Governor of Eshme. He is my great grandfather. Kurds of the region had planted a bomb in his office when he was the Governor of Van (Eastern Turkey). He was critically wounded and recovered after 7 months in Van Hospital. He later became the governor of Eshme/Manisa. (Near Smyrna). After. a year  of this photo taken, he was captured by Greeks and taken by foot to Smyrna. He was tortured and killed by Greek 2nd Evzone Regiment in Smyrna prison on July 21st 1921. I am writing a book about his life and planning to publish it by the 100th anniversary of his death. I would love this photo colorized for the book. He was average height,  auburn hair, hazel eyes. He was 51 when he died. Same age I am now. His wife died of cancer prior to his death. He had three sons and daughter. 

I wil do my best to scan and upload the original photo.

Thank you for your time.

Screen Shot 2020-11-19 at 17.31.56.png