You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

My first impressions after 2 trial days

Hello Affinity community

I am a long-time Photoshop user, but due to the unacceptable company policy I would like to change the software.

After 2 " trial days" with AP, I noticed the following first impressions:

1) Frequently used functions are hidden or only accessible with difficulty. For example: "fill contour". Here I have to activate a layer effect (outline) and then call up the function "Fill" in the main menu and select "Protocol" again. This is very complicated and definitely not a fast workflow. Is there not a shorter way?

2) It can happen that no layer is selected and therefore an editing does not work. Why? It does not make sense to activate NO layer.

3) For my website I regularly create JPEGs with 40% quality. IN PS, the results look very good. In AP, however, not at all, even at 85% quality, the result cannot compete with PS at 40%.

4) The attempt to change a PNG file (with the same pixel size!) from 72 dpi resolution to 300 dpi resulted in an extremely strong artefact formation.

5) When cropping an object in the masking mode (refine mask), editing remained without result. Only after closing and re-opening it, it suddenly started to sparkle. I have checked my procedure several times!

6) When an editing window pops up at the bottom of the UI, I have to click it 2-3 times with the left mouse button pressed down before I can move it up. So it has a very unruly behaviour.

Summary

It is quite clear that a software that is still relatively new on the market and is also available at a more than fair price cannot compete with software that has matured over many, many years. Therefore I would like to contribute with my feedback to make AP better and perhaps in the foreseeable future to make it possible to work without significant bugs. Then the market price may be raised a little bit!

Kind regards
Juergen

On 11/17/2020 at 5:21 AM, Juergen S said:

Hello Affinity community

I am a long-time Photoshop user, but due to the unacceptable company policy I would like to change the software.

After 2 " trial days" with AP, I noticed the following first impressions:

2) It can happen that no layer is selected and therefore an editing does not work. Why? It does not make sense to activate NO layer.

Kind regards
Juergen

I've run in this issue many times also... and is one of the things  that seems strange and "feels awkward".

Not sure how Photoshop handles it (since It is kind of automatic and never thought of it) but I'm sure something can be improved in Photo.

Thanks

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde