You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

User installed fonts do not appear in Designer

Hi support

Affinity Designer is ignoring user installed fonts. All other applications show these fonts. Font book on mac by default installs fonts as user based fonts which means they don't show in Designer. The only workaround seems to be to install fonts as computer wide fonts which is not ideal. Designer should show user based fonts as all other applications do.

Cheers

I have no problems. Must be something specific to your situation.

I use Typeface 2 and have my fonts in a folder somewhere in my folder structure at user level. When i open a AD/APh file with a font that's not activated, Typeface 2 activates it on the fly and the font becomes available in Affinity.

Maybe it's better to raise this question in the Affinity on Desktop Questions forum. It may give more responses.

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

User installed fonts are showing for me in all three Affinity apps. Always have.
I just use Font Book on my Mac to manage them, so all my fonts are in the default location where Font Book puts them; /Users/your name here/Library/Fonts
Can you give more details about which macOS and app version you are using?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

3 hours ago, gazheyes said:

Hi support

Affinity Designer is ignoring user installed fonts. All other applications show these fonts. Font book on mac by default installs fonts as user based fonts which means they don't show in Designer. The only workaround seems to be to install fonts as computer wide fonts which is not ideal. Designer should show user based fonts as all other applications do.

Cheers

Hello @gazheyes and welcome to the forum.

In addition to what other forumsters already posted as a starting point to help you I want to point out that some font types are not supported by Affinity. Namely these are color fonts and varialbe fonts. Is there a chance that you are trying to use these? Can you please be a little more specific about what or which fonts do not show up?

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

10 hours ago, fde101 said:

Those should still show up in the list of fonts, they will just behave like non-color non-variable fonts when used within the Affinity products.

Oh, that's interesting. I did understand respective reports differently. Thanks for setting that right.

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

2 minutes ago, gazheyes said:

Hi everyone, thanks for the help! It turns out it was only certain fonts not working. Such as Myriad Pro which is a Photoshop font and so Adobe only seems to allow that to be used with Photoshop rather than every application. Thanks again. 

Actually I do have Myriad Pro in my system installed. It came with CS6 or earlier and it shows up without a problem in AD. I wonder what can be the cause for you. The main difference is I am on Windows.

d.