You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overlaying an EPS with Colour Changes

Hello, I have a coloured image overlayed by an eps showing a music score. The coloured image has a white contour and a dark central texture: I would like the overlaying score to be white instead of the usual black colour but just where it overlays the central dark image's texture and keep the original black colour where the background image is white. I've attached an image as an example.

What kind of procedure could I follow?

than k you in advance

Screenshot_2020-11-17_at_10_37_08.png

Welcome to the forums @Mr Avenarius
For a first attempt you could try setting the Blend Mode of your score to Contrast Negate.
That might not work well as you might get some strange spots of black showing through in some areas (see attached video) but it’s a quick thing to try first.
If that doesn’t work nicely then just say so and someone can come up with a better solution.

Thank you GarryP for your quick response and help. I've tried the Contraste Negate mode, as you suggested. Unfortunately, it won't show as desired. I'm new to Affinity Designer, which I've recently purchased, and can't guess the way to achieve the goal I've prefigured. Maybe a sort of mask or something similar would do it?

You can try to apply the EPS music score layer as "transfer" ...

transfer.jpg.3e24f59a9470d7bf016a7a91b493db10.jpg

... or ...

...if the overlaying score is build-up from individual curves, color just those overlayed ones. You can also make just a copy of the overlaying score parts, place those on top and color those white or some light gray color tone. - Masking just the overlayed portions to show up negative might be too an option.

adapt_color.jpg.8e53808434a10989d44ff248f4f03ca8.jpg

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Open the EPS in a seperate doc, select all relevant layers and group them, copy/paste then that group over to your image document where you want to overlay the score. Look at the layer modes there should be "transfer" then.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

15 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

It is "Passthrough" in English UI. Meaning that it will show the transparent parts of the pasted vector graphic.

Ah Ok, thanks.

Still many thanks to all for your support. I've grouped as suggested, copied the group and pasted it in the document where the background image is (maybe I should have copied the image itself?).

'Passthrough' now shows as default, nevertheless there is no color change on the EPS in contrast to the dark background.

2 hours ago, Mr Avenarius said:

I've grouped as suggested, copied the group and pasted it in the document where the background image is (maybe I should have copied the image itself?).

After you pasted the grouped music score on your background image, enhance the group layer of that music score and click on several of the layers to determine which are on your dark background image parts. Recolor just those specific music score layers to white (as I've shown in the above second screenshot).

In case the music score is not compound of several seperate layer curves (thus is only one combined curve layer), make a duplicate layer of that music score layer, recolor it white, place it on top of the initial black one and then crop just the top white music score layer so it only covers the wanted parts of your background image.

If you can't manage it, you can if you want post/show your files here, so some kind community people can help you to manage that tasks!