You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer & Photo 1.8.6 crashing at startup(Mac)

Please help as both my software apps Designer and Photo are not loading on my Mac running OS X 10.13.6(just updated from OS X 10.12). Crashing before even loading. I purchased both apps five years ago, and done the subsequent updates with no past issues. I updated to 1.8.6 on Nov.13th with no problems. Then I updated my Mac OS on Nov.15th. Now the crashing problem. Could not find any answers in the forums. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, signing in & out of the App Store, reinstalling from the App Store, restoring apps with Time Machine, restarting in safe mode, deleting preference files all to no avail. There is always a note; "Affinity Designer quit unexpectedly. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." With a Problem report generated. There does seem to be one standout to my eye in the report; "EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)". Both apps are unavailable to use. I welcome any of your thoughts or suggestions.

1322813364_ScreenShot2020-11-16at11_47_18PM.png.3c71433a9251a2798c27267842a2914f.png

Edited by duh-G

• Staff

Hi duh-G,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try opening the app with the ctrl key held down and if the reset menu appears hit select all and then clear?

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Apps

There are now many reasons that macOS may refuse to open an app normally, ranging from damage to the executable code within it, to it not being notarized when macOS was expecting it to be. The best clues come from how macOS refuses.

If the app is crashed when it tries to launch, typically showing a Problem Report for the app, click on the Show Details button and look down for the Exception Type given. This might, for example, read
EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid) and a little further down the Termination Reason might be given as Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1
Those are typical for an app which no longer matches its own signature.

Similar crashes can occur when an app tries to access privacy-protected resources for which it doesn’t have appropriate settings.

These crash-on-launch events indicate a problem which you can’t do anything about. Try downloading another copy of the app, and if that fails similarly, contact the developer as they have a problem which they need to fix as a matter of urgency.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

v_kyr, thank you for your input. I do agree that this seems to be a light on the problem. It seems to be affecting only the apps that came through the App Store. Other core Mac OS X apps Text Edit, Mail, Preview are unaffected. My old CS6 Design Standard is fine after the Java for OS X 2017-001 was applied. Ironically my Affinity Designer & Photo just keep crashing at launch.

Process:               Affinity Designer [677]
Path:                  /Applications/Affinity Designer.app/Contents/MacOS/Affinity Designer
Identifier:            com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner
Version:               ???
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        ??? [1]
Responsible:           Affinity Designer [677]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2020-11-17 13:59:13.937 -0800
OS Version:            Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G14042)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        24C1CDFD-EAF0-E9C4-B133-AFFA4D65B016

Sleep/Wake UUID:       35AF4E41-4567-4FF5-A4D7-FC0D5400D631

Time Awake Since Boot: 1300 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0

Exception Type:        EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1

After reading multiple recent discussions on the Apple Support site I chose to go back to OS X 10.12.6(restore) dumping OS X 10.13 High Sierra(recently installed Nov.15.2020). I did a restore with Time Machine after rebooting in recovery mode. The process was simpler as my computer does not have a SSD. No APFS files to deal with. All my App Store apps are back.