You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

However, the whole shape tweaking to recreate some Apple based icons is pretty unneeded at all here, since as Apple states ...

Keep icon corners square. The system applies a mask that rounds icon corners automatically.

That misses the point of having a template with the squircle-like shape: the template is for the graphic designer who is designing icon artwork for a developer (who may be the same person in some cases) to put into Xcode.

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

I'm not sure why you say "further" when Wikipedia actually references that The Hunt for the Squircle article for its statement that Apple's shape "is not actually a squircle but an approximation of a quintic superellipse."

Don't one say it that way in english? - I've seen so many net entries about this theme that I hardly remember them all. If the order isn't right expressed just reverse it, "Wikipedia -> The hunt for...".

1 hour ago, anon2 said:

Remember that simply rasterising an SVG at different scales is unlikely to produce a set of high quality app icons.

That's right, there might be also other Xcode SVG file reusage issues then. I haven't yet searched/looked carefully after Xcode related statements from people about the SVG usage, only saw shortly this one on Youtube here, (which has somehow bad volume recording).

That misses the point of having a template with the squircle-like shape: the template is for the graphic designer who is designing icon artwork for a developer (who may be the same person in some cases) to put into Xcode.

Looks to be from the iOS app icon guidelines.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 minute ago, v_kyr said:

Don't one say it that way in english? -

"Further" would have been appropriate if your quoted statement from Wikipedia was providing information additional to the Hunt article, but Wikipedia explicitly refers the reader to the Hunt article when making the statement.

1108320987_ScreenShot2021-01-10at19_10_16.png.01272319b9c23e2070803ec05c2b036f.png

1604020163_ScreenShot2021-01-10at19_10_37.png.3052172d51c44ebc4e03b2797c93c7c8.png

Yes saw that in the meantime, they had quoted it too. Though I have seen that link reference on other peoples blogs.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

27 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Looks to be from the iOS app icon guidelines.

What I meant was that even if artwork provided to Xcode for a macOS app icon should have square corners, the designer of the icon will use a template containing the squircle-like mask and shadow to ensure their artwork will look good when the OS provides the mask and shadow.

13 minutes ago, anon2 said:

What I meant was that ...

Yes, designers usually pay much more attention to this than we developers, coders do concentrate more on the code and algorithms than graphics art. However, in case of developers who don't have any fellow designer coworker for the artwork, they have then to deal with those things themself.

• 1 year later...

Thank you all very much for the information and data related to Icons for MacOS.

Based on Apple's Original Template for MacOS, iOS and watchOS, I decided to create a single template that could generate the icon for whatever platform is needed.

Feel free to help improve it since I'm a novice when it comes to graphic design.

Captura de Pantalla 2022-03-03 a la(s) 16.16.07.png

Apple Icons Template.afdesign

• 1 year later...
On 1/8/2021 at 3:22 PM, Tom Schimansky said:

I created a simple Icon-Template for MacOS 11 BigSur in Affinity Designer.

It is based on the official Photoshop template provided by Apple with the correct shadow and mask:

https://developer.apple.com/design/resources/#macos-apps

Sadly the template from Apple is rasterized so I made it with highest resolution available, which is 1024x1024.

Download MacOS 11 Icon Template:

MacOS 11 BigSur Icon Template.afdesign

Reviving this thread with a question. First thanks so much for posting the template. Super helpful!

Could you please clarify what you mean by the "Place Icon-Parts here..." title given to the background?

Thank you.