You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Vector particle spray? - Not a feature request

Hi,

I am making a drawing where it would be helpful if I could somehow spray a bunch of stylized vector bubble shapes that varied in size to create the impression of foam. It would save me from copy pasting and resizing hundreds of bubbles.

I am just wondering if there is a way to do this with Affinity Designer.

I looked at some tutorials about custom brushes but all I can find is info about importing png files to make stroke effects.

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Otto Manuel said:

I am making a drawing where it would be helpful if I could somehow spray a bunch of stylized vector bubble shapes that varied in size to create the impression of foam. It would save me from copy pasting and resizing hundreds of bubbles.

I am just wondering if there is a way to do this with Affinity Designer.

No, there is not. Inkscape has this feature - for free. More on the topic here:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Well I was wrong... I just exported a SVG from Affinity Designer and used the Spray function in InkScape to make a bunch of bubbles. I saved as a copy of the SVG file in Inkscape. The bubbles look just as I had hoped. When I open the SVG file to round trip the image back in to Affinity Designer the placement of the bubbles doesn't match what I see if I look at the same SVG file in InkScape.

As a test I also opened the SVG file, that I saved with InkScape, in Google's Chrome web browser the image looks just as I would expect it too.

There is something about how Designer is interpreting the SVG file that I saved with InkScape. Something is causing the elements that I created in InkScape to be placed in unexpected locations.

Is there a setting I can change to make this work?

Thank you.

OK I figured it out.

When I was working in InkScape I started by Spraying copies of a bubble (a simple circular curve shape) that I had drawn in Affinity Designer, but then I had selected another bubble that had been replicated with the InkScape Spray function because it was smaller and it let me qucikly switch to a second range of scale.

Although the SVG that I modified and saved in InkScape looked fine in both Chrome and Firefox web browsers, the bubbles would not display in their intended locations when I opened that SVG in Designer.

I tried different settings such as InkScape's  Save As "Plain SVG" and tried setting preferences for different coordinate references such as "Relative", and nothing worked, but I finally recognized that I was causing the issue by Spraying copies of an object that I had made by Spraying.

To solve my issue I placed two different sized bubble instances in the project while still in Affinity Designer. I used these bubbles as reference objects when Spraying in InkScape. By doing this I was able to replicate hundreds of bubbles and get the look I had hoped for, and then I was able to return to Affinity Designer and open the SVG and save it as a .afdesign where I will continue with my drawing.

It was pretty easy once I figured it out.

Thank you!

Glad you figured it out, @Otto Manuel

Maybe Serif should capitulate and simply link from the toolbar directly to Inkscape, CorelDRAW... Illustrator. 😄

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.