You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Master page applied to right page only still affects left page

When I apply a master page only to a right-hand page, it still seems to affect the left-hand page with its text wrapping settings. Let me explain.

In the attached facing pages Publisher document, I have two master pages. The Base master page contains just a left and a right text frame. The Image master page has Base applied to it and in addition contains two picture frames with text wrapping on:

image.png.96a75ff161f05d5e9e1807534a4ade20.png

In the document, I applied the master pages as follows:

First spread: page 1 – Base, page 2 – Image.
Second spread: page 3 – Image, page 4 – Base.

So each spread has different master pages applied to its left and right pages.

Curiously, on both spreads text wrapping also affects the page that only has the Base master page applied:

image.png.f130cd25bf7f36af09d5c6630d275b86.png

image.png.d33527060b5430d1f6eca05b5b92fe7c.png

I expected a page that doesn’t have a picture frame on it to be filled with filler text from top to bottom, because there is nothing on the page or its master page that could cause text wrapping.

Is this behavior a bug or is it by design? How can I apply a master page to a right-hand page in a way that doesn’t affect the left-hand page of the same spread?

Ghost master page text wrapping.afpub

• Staff

Hi @tillulen,

I've just checked with our QA team and this is partly expected down to how we work with assigning left/right facing pages and also a slight bug.  I'll need to get this logged with the Dev team, as we already have a couple of issue like this but nothing for this exact scenario

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, anto said:

@stokerg do you think that it is normal behavior of program?

I am in no way an expert on APub's features, or even particularly familiar with most of them, but it looks to me it is doing exactly what it should.

What specifically do you think is wrong with the demonstrated behavior?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

22 minutes ago, anto said:

If you have seen video, why I have gotten changes on right page?

I don't know why. When I try that in the Mac version, if I apply a 2 page master spread only to a left or right document page, I only get the left or right master page content on the respective document page.

So maybe this is a Windows only bug?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

28 minutes ago, R C-R said:

When I try that in the Mac version, if I apply a 2 page master spread only to a left or right document page, I only get the left or right master page content on the respective document page.

Check the Layer panel. – If I on mac apply a master spread with certain margin + two text frames (page number field) and select 1 right document page to apply this master then in the layout view only on the right page margin + page number are visible, – but in the layers panel are both text frames inside their master layer, left and right. Selecting them in the layers panel makes their bounding box visible in the layout view.  This quite disturbing issue was illustrated / demonstrated various times in this thread and in others. The only workaround appears to be cumbersome using separate master spreads for left vs. right. [p.s.: below the "Group" layer doesn't matter, it happens anyway.]

1321123354_masterpageobjectsconfusionleft-right.jpg.cb61f430b440b6652cd637b2af6db952.jpg

Edited by thomaso
screenshot added

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Check the Layer panel. – If I on mac apply a master spread with certain margin + two text frames (page number field) and select 1 right document page to apply this master then in the layout view only on the right page margin + page number are visible, – but in the layers panel are both text frames inside their master layer, left and right.

OK, I see that but is it anything to worry about? The text is not visible on the left page & if it worries you that it is there you can use Edit Detached to remove it.

Affinity Photo 

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

OK, I see that but is it anything to worry about?

(see 1st post)

Not a useful question here. Is there any bug to worry about and/or not be circumvented with a more or less cumbersome workaround?

When I need to have a Left and Right page with a Picture Frame and text, as is presented here, I make a couple of separate single page masters with the margins and named Text Frame and named Picture Frame.

I guess it is just a question of expectations but I would not set up my Master Pages as you have using unnamed frames and relying on text wrap to force text out of the way. Just too many things can go wrong, as you have seen.

Also: Life is just easier if I name Left and Right Text Frames as Left Text, Left Header, Left Foot, Left Page Number, Left Picture Frame.... When I apply a different Master page all the text will flow properly all the pictures will be placed properly in the newly applied frames.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Not a useful question here. Is there any bug to worry about and/or not be circumvented with a more or less cumbersome workaround?

What I mean is according to what @stokerg wrote earlier, this is a combination of the expected behavior & a "slight bug."

Affinity Photo 

15 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

When I need to have a Left and Right page with a Picture Frame and text, as is presented here, I make a couple of separate single page masters with the margins and named Text Frame and named Picture Frame.

(...)

Also: Life is just easier if I name Left and Right Text Frames as Left Text, Left Header, Left Foot, Left Page Number, Left Picture Frame.... When I apply a different Master page all the text will flow properly all the pictures will be placed properly in the newly applied frames.

The UI is simply misleading by enabling the user to apply a master spread to one half of a spread only AND by reporting it accordingly (in tooltip + layers panel as literally "Right" only). It would make things easier / more clear if users could select accordingly one half of a master spread only when applying a master to a document page.

I agree it seems to be required in APub to create more master pages than expected. But the expectation may not only result from the UI (applied to "Right") but also results from different experience (habbit) in ID, where even page margins switch automatically.

21 minutes ago, thomaso said:

The UI is simply misleading by enabling the user to apply a master spread to one half of a spread only AND by reporting it accordingly...

I would say that there is no misleading happening here, but that it is a bug, or at the very least some incredibly poor implementation (bordering on malpractice).

What I do is work around that bug. I also think my solution to this bug is robust and probably future proof.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

6 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

I would say that there is no misleading happening here, but that it is a bug...

I think what @thomaso means is (in the current implementation) it is not possible to apply a master spread to less than a 2 document page spread, so it should not mislead the user by permitting the user to specify a 2 page master spread & at the same time specify applying it to just one document page in the Apply Master window. 

In effect, it is a missing feature that the UI does not make obvious.

Affinity Photo 

A difference between InDesign and Publisher is that in Publisher you can apply masters on top of each other. This is a strange behaviour for those coming from InDesign but -once understood the phylosophy- it s quite cool.

It is somehow limited by the fact that you cannot apply a master page to only part of a spread, but it is something you can live with. Especially since if you apply the master pages through the dialog box, you can then go to layers and remove anything you don't want.

The problem is the "slight bug" that, in some cases where the master is applied, "hides" its elements, thus preventing any workaround through layers.

One such case is when you drag&drop masters instead of using the dialog box. This is easily solved being careful to avoid this.

Anther case, where the slight bug becomes a major one, is when you delete part of a spread: the pages that flow back will automatically apply their master onto the remaining half-spread, basically dooming it...

Please correct this bug.... 

PS I use a Mac

Edited by silvoc

• 1 year later...