You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problems installing from Apple App Store

Hi all, hope you can help.

I recently upgraded/repaired my very old iMac with 512G SSD. Previous to my Mac breaking down I had Affinity Designer & Photo happily installed on the machine. Since the upgrade I have attempted to download/install both programmes from the Apple App Store, but after each attempt at launching the programmes I get an error message saying "Affinity Designer quit unexpectedly...", and the programmes failing to load. Any idea what's going on?

FYI the iMac is 2010, with a 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, running macOS High Sierra V10.13.6

Thanks for your help :)

• Staff

Hi Phil Dolby,

Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you try opening the apps with the CTRL key held down and when the reset menu appears hit select all and then clear.

Thanks

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

@Phil Dolby To clarify @Callum's instructions if I may, to get Designer's reset pane to open you need to launch the app via Launchpad while holding the ctrl key.
Open Launchpad (found in your Applications folder) and locate Affinity Designer within it, hold down the ctrl key and click once on Designer’s icon to launch it.
If you don’t use Launchpad, then yes, holding the ctrl key down just acts as a normal right click as you found.

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

19 minutes ago, Phil Dolby said:

tried opening from Launchpad but sadly no progress

After clicking on Designer’s icon within Launchpad, continue to keep the Ctrl key held down until the ‘Clear User Data’ dialog pops up.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

53 minutes ago, Phil Dolby said:

Thanks @markw - again, tried opening from Launchpad but sadly no progress. Still getting the same error message...

Bit stuck now :(

P

Sorry about that @Phil Dolby my bad 😟  Yes you have to keep the ctrl key pressed until the reset window shows!

Now Alfred has had to clarify my clarification!  Thank you @Alfred🙂

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

Hey guys, really appreciate you trying to help out here :)

Unfortunately still no go - when I click and hold Control from Launchpad the same error box keeps popping up. I haven't managed to get a reset window yet....doing my head in LOL

How long should I be holding the Control key?

I'm wondering if this is an App Store thing? I've tried downloading a couple of other apps that worked previously and I'm getting the same error, so maybe it's not an Affinity thing? I re-installed my Office 365 programmes directly from Microsoft and they installed perfectly, but anything I grab from the App Store seems corrupted...hmmm...

Is it possible to get fresh downloads from Serif instead of going through the App Store? Seems that anything I've bought through the App Store is not recognised as being purchased when I log into the Serif website?

Anyway, thanks again @markw @Alfred

5 minutes ago, Phil Dolby said:

How long should I be holding the Control key?

I’m a Windows user, not a Mac user, but as far as I’m aware it should work the same way: press and hold the Ctrl key, keep it held down while you launch the app, and continue to hold it down until the dialog appears. If that’s what you’ve been doing and the dialog refuses to show up, I’m afraid I don’t know what to suggest.

8 minutes ago, Phil Dolby said:

Is it possible to get fresh downloads from Serif instead of going through the App Store?

Sadly not. Serif and Apple don’t share individual customer data — quite rightly! — so there’s no way for Serif to verify that you’ve purchased the Mac App Store version of the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

18 hours ago, Alfred said:

I’m a Windows user, not a Mac user, but as far as I’m aware it should work the same way . . . . .

Couldn’t resist this, if rather wildly off topic.😈

15EDFFF7-DEC8-4544-967E-505DBD291754.jpeg.ef075837d0ca336199ee7e32ef592fd3.jpeg

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9