You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Quit Unexpectedly -- MacOS 10.13.6

I installed a macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 update as well as Security Updates 2020-005 and 2020-006, and the Safari 13.1.2 update on Sunday and now I'm getting an Affinity Photo (1.8.4) quit unexpectedly message when I try to launch.

Is this a known issue?

Should I delete my copy of AP and reinstall from the App Store or would you recommend restoring the prior OS state from a time machine backup?

So frustrating when updates break things.

• Staff

Hi @kViro,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please try disabling your internet/WiFi connection and launching the Affinity app once more? Does this still crash for you?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

10 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @kViro,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble! Can you please try disabling your internet/WiFi connection and launching the Affinity app once more? Does this still crash for you?

Hi Dan,

I made my ethernet connection "inactive" and turned wi-fi "off"; however, I received the same message when I attempted to launch AP.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that, we're going to need to see a copy of the apps crash report to investigate the cause of this.

Please go to Applications > Utilities and open the Console app. Crash Reports from our apps can be found in the User Reports section. You can Right Click the required Crash Report and select Reveal in Finder, then attach a copy of this crash report here.

Many thanks once again!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

Many thanks for the file provided!

This is showing the same CODESIGNING error that other users have experienced, and completely removing the Mac from any internet connection resolved this for them.

Can you please double check that all internet connections to your Mac are disabled, then try launching the app once again?

If this crashes once again, then I'd like to try resetting your app back to default settings.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.

Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc

Please do let me know if this helps :)

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the guidance and sorry to be a bother.

I unplugged my iMac from my router and insured that Wi-Fi was off, but received the same error when trying to open AP.

I tried to reset as you suggested; however, I am not getting a "Clear User Data" option while launching AP while holding down the CTRL key. Am I missing a step?

network off.jpeg

Apps

There are now many reasons that macOS may refuse to open an app normally, ranging from damage to the executable code within it, to it not being notarized when macOS was expecting it to be. The best clues come from how macOS refuses.

If the app is crashed when it tries to launch, typically showing a Problem Report for the app, click on the Show Details button and look down for the Exception Type given. This might, for example, read
EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid) and a little further down the Termination Reason might be given as Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1
Those are typical for an app which no longer matches its own signature.

Similar crashes can occur when an app tries to access privacy-protected resources for which it doesn’t have appropriate settings.

These crash-on-launch events indicate a problem which you can’t do anything about. Try downloading another copy of the app, and if that fails similarly, contact the developer as they have a problem which they need to fix as a matter of urgency.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hey Dan,

Just to close the loop on this, I restored a backup via Carbon Copy Cloner dropping me back down to 10.13.3 and AP to 1.8.4. AP will launch and seems to be stable, so I'm not going to mess with it if I don't have to.

I appreciate your attempt to assist.

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response!

On 11/17/2020 at 3:35 PM, kViro said:

I unplugged my iMac from my router and insured that Wi-Fi was off, but received the same error when trying to open AP.

Thanks for trying this and I'm very sorry to hear it didn't help.

On 11/17/2020 at 10:27 PM, kViro said:

Just to close the loop on this, I restored a backup via Carbon Copy Cloner dropping me back down to 10.13.3 and AP to 1.8.4. AP will launch and seems to be stable, so I'm not going to mess with it if I don't have to.

I'm very glad to know you've been able to resolve this, please do let us know if you have any further issues with updating - as I believe I have a few steps to try for any users experiencing these issues :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On 11/17/2020 at 5:15 PM, v_kyr said:

EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid) and a little further down the Termination Reason might be given as Namespace CODESIGNING, Code 0x1
Those are typical for an app which no longer matches its own signature.

Thanks for the information provided however I can confirm this is likely not the case here, as otherwise all Affinity users (including myself) would be seeing this crash if the apps signature was incorrect. Having read through this thread it appears Apple had the same issues when releasing Catalina, and hopefully booting into safe-mode, launching the app and then restarting in 'normal' mode should resolve this!

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response!

Thanks for trying this and I'm very sorry to hear it didn't help.

I'm very glad to know you've been able to resolve this, please do let us know if you have any further issues with updating - as I believe I have a few steps to try for any users experiencing these issues :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thanks for the information provided however I can confirm this is likely not the case here, as otherwise all Affinity users (including myself) would be seeing this crash if the apps signature was incorrect. Having read through this thread it appears Apple had the same issues when releasing Catalina, and hopefully booting into safe-mode, launching the app and then restarting in 'normal' mode should resolve this!

Hopefully it might help, though the problem is often OS version dependent, in most forum cases here for macOS High Sierra.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan

15 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @Dan C I seem to have a similar problem with the user who created this topic.  I use an MBP Mid-2012 running on High Sierra 10.13.6. I have tried both actions recommended in this thread: 1) To disable Wifi and launch the app and 2) holding down the CTRL key while launching the app.  Both to no avail.  I don't have a backup in hand so I can't downgrade to 10.13.3.  I wonder what else to try next? This is my crash report:

Affinity Photo_2020-11-20-082231_Immarys-MacBook-Pro.crash

• Staff

Hi @Immary,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble!

23 hours ago, Dan C said:

Having read through this thread it appears Apple had the same issues when releasing Catalina, and hopefully booting into safe-mode, launching the app and then restarting in 'normal' mode should resolve this!

Can you please try the above procedure and let me know if the app no longer crashes after opening it in safe-mode?

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me and I'm certainly sorry to hear this.

Can you please try downloading the below tool - 

https://objective-see.com/products/whatsyoursign.html

Once downloaded, install this and then Right-click on the Affinity app. Select 'Singing Info', you might see an error that the app is revoked and some information will be missing. Close this dialog, then repeat the same procedure by right-clicking on the Affinity app. This time, you should find that the signing authorities information is complete.

Please now try opening Affinity - does this no longer crash?

If so, you can run the 'WhatsYourSign' installer once again and this will offer you an uninstall option.

I hope this helps!

• Staff

Thanks for trying that for me - I'll be honest and say that these steps have resolved the issues for other users, so I'm not certain what the differences are with your system, my apologies.

Do you have any of the Affinity apps installed directly from the Affinity Store? It would help to know if it's only the app store versions of these that aren't running correctly, or both.

I'd also like to try wiping your appdata and seeing if this helps, to make sure there's not a badly cached file that's causing this.

Please open Finder, then navigate to:

~/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/

You should find many different folders here, including 'Autosave', 'Profiles' and 'User'. Please select all the contents of the Application Support folder and move these to a new folder on your desktop (as a backup).

Now, launch the Affinity app - you should find that these folders are generated automatically by the app - and hopefully you'll be able to access the Affinity app.

Many thanks for your continued patience and understanding here.

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Do you have any of the Affinity apps installed directly from the Affinity Store? It would help to know if it's only the app store versions of these that aren't running correctly, or both.

Hi @Dan C I have both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer.  Both downloaded from the App Store, not Affinity Store.  And both aren't working now.  I have installed Beta version for AP & AD that I downloaded recently from the forums - both are running well.  So it seems the App Store versions are having problems now on my laptop.  

As for this:

"Please open Finder, then navigate to:

~/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/"

I couldn't find this in my Finder.  So haven't done anything about it.

Thanks for your patience as well attending to this issue.  If nothing can be done, then I'll just wait for the new version to be released and use the Beta in the meantime.  

3 hours ago, Immary said:

As for this:

"Please open Finder, then navigate to:

~/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/"

If AP came from the Mac App Store, I think the file path should be:

~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
8 hours ago, Immary said:

Hi @Dan C I have both Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer.  Both downloaded from the App Store, not Affinity Store.  And both aren't working now.  I have installed Beta version for AP & AD that I downloaded recently from the forums - both are running well.  So it seems the App Store versions are having problems now on my laptop. 

Thanks for trying that for me, this is what I was expecting to see.

Do you have any other App Store apps with this issue? I have found many, many reports on Apple forums (and other third party apps sites) where customers are having the same CODESIGNING issue, so I'm interested if it affects more than one app on your Mac.

8 hours ago, Immary said:

How close did you get to this folder? I ask as I'm aware that the Library folder is hidden and you may not be aware how to access this. Did you find the Library/Containers folder, but there was no Affinity folder here? 

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Do you have any other App Store apps with this issue? I have found many, many reports on Apple forums (and other third party apps sites) where customers are having the same CODESIGNING issue, so I'm interested if it affects more than one app on your Mac.

Hi @Dan C I don't have many apps installed and so far I've only noticed problems with AD & AP.  I found the Library/Containers Folder.  But I can't find the AP nor AD folders there.  The beta version folders are available though (in Application Support).  If you don't mind, I've taken some screenshots of how my Library folder looks like.  Maybe you could take a look at them and see if I've missed anything?  I'm new to all this, sorry.  Thanks for your time and patience.

@R C-R Thanks for your input. Appreciate you trying to help out.

Containers 1.png

Containers 2.png

Application Support.png

Group Containers.png

• Staff
4 hours ago, Immary said:

I found the Library/Containers Folder.  But I can't find the AP nor AD folders there.  The beta version folders are available though (in Application Support).  If you don't mind, I've taken some screenshots of how my Library folder looks like.  Maybe you could take a look at them and see if I've missed anything?  I'm new to all this, sorry.

No problem at all, thanks for your screenshots! It's strange that no Affinity related folders appear under Containers, however I can see in Group Containers there is a folder titled '6LVTQB9699.com.seriflabs'

Could you please open this folder and provide a screenshot for me once again?

Many thanks!

23 minutes ago, Dan C said:

...It's strange that no Affinity related folders appear under Containers...

Well the folder paths to look after for MAS versions are usually ...

• Mac App Store version: 
    • Affinity Photo: ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/*
    • Affinity Designer: ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/*
    • Affinity Publisher: ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher/Data/Library/Application Support/*

13 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Well the folder paths to look after for MAS versions are usually ...

That's what I have always seen on my Macs, never anything like ~/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/*.

I wonder if @Dan C was thinking about the Affinity Store versions or maybe the betas, although I think they should be in the ~/Library/Application Support folder.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

I wonder if @Dan C was thinking about the Affinity Store versions or maybe the betas, although I think they should be in the ~/Library/Application Support folder.

Maybe! - And yes, Affinity Store versions should instead usually reside under ...

Affinity Store version

• Affinity Photo: ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo/*
  • Affinity Designer: ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Designer/*
  • Affinity Publisher: ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/*