You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance slowdown?

Russell_L

Since upgrading to 1.8.6, I've noticed a definite slowdown in performance compared to previous versions. There are now noticeable delays in response time after I click/select an action whereas they used to be virtually instantaneous.  Definitely not as 'snappy' as before!  MacBook Pro 16" (less than a year old) on Big Sur 11.0.1.

Same here, updated to 1.8.6 yesterday and there's now a huge delay on brush based tools, no less than 3 seconds before I start seeing the changes being applied, it is unbearable. I also noticed that working with he clone brush tool, it gets way too slow--almost unusable-- when selecting "current layer & below" but its performance drastically improves when working only with "current layer" and this option is relevant to my line of work for a non invasive editing. again, this issue only became apparent after the update. Currently running an iMac with Mac OS Catalina, 32 gb RAM, 2 TB HDD, 2 GB radeon for graphics. 

I, too, am seeing a big performance slowdown since upgrading to 1.8.6 running on iMac 27 (2017), 24GB ram, running Big Sur.  When using brush tools, I'm frequently getting spinning "beach balls" and I'm frequently unable to select a layer.   I've also experienced problems using level blend options - I'll apply the curve I want in the blend mode but not seeing any change to the layer.  Quite frustrating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

@Danielcely @Russell_L @Griffy apologies for bumping this thread, but there's hopefully a solution—do any of you happen to be using desktop mice, and if so are they gaming mice, Intellimouse, other high-end devices etc? Big Sur has an issue with mice that have high polling rates, and it's causing all sorts of stuttering and performance issues across the board.

I have an Intellimouse Pro and brush work in the Affinity apps is unusable—in fact, anything relying on the mouse pointer, so manipulating layers, selecting UI elements etc. Trying to navigate around the Big Sur UI (especially the dock) causes stutter and slowdown as well. The ham-fisted solution was to download the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre app on Windows, change my mouse polling rate from 1000hz to 125hz, and now everything in macOS is fine, including performance in the Affinity apps.

Worth a try on the off chance that you are all using non-Apple pointer devices? You should be able to find software for most manufacturers (e.g. Razer has a management app for both Mac and Windows) to change the polling rate and see if it improves things.

Here are a few links to the polling rate issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/juj8zs/mouse_lagging_in_big_sur/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252047056

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/jzd8iq/macos_big_sur_1101_bug_with_mouse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/k3880z/for_mouse_user_fixing_big_sur_lag_when_using_mouse/

Product Expert (Affinity Photo) & Product Expert Team Leader

@JamesR_Affinity for tutorial sneak peeks and more
Official Affinity Photo tutorials

8 hours ago, James Ritson said:

@Danielcely @Russell_L @Griffy apologies for bumping this thread, but there's hopefully a solution—do any of you happen to be using desktop mice, and if so are they gaming mice, Intellimouse, other high-end devices etc? Big Sur has an issue with mice that have high polling rates, and it's causing all sorts of stuttering and performance issues across the board.

I have an Intellimouse Pro and brush work in the Affinity apps is unusable—in fact, anything relying on the mouse pointer, so manipulating layers, selecting UI elements etc. Trying to navigate around the Big Sur UI (especially the dock) causes stutter and slowdown as well. The ham-fisted solution was to download the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Centre app on Windows, change my mouse polling rate from 1000hz to 125hz, and now everything in macOS is fine, including performance in the Affinity apps.

Worth a try on the off chance that you are all using non-Apple pointer devices? You should be able to find software for most manufacturers (e.g. Razer has a management app for both Mac and Windows) to change the polling rate and see if it improves things.

Here are a few links to the polling rate issue:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/juj8zs/mouse_lagging_in_big_sur/

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252047056

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/jzd8iq/macos_big_sur_1101_bug_with_mouse/

https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/k3880z/for_mouse_user_fixing_big_sur_lag_when_using_mouse/

James, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this, I have not yet upgraded my Mac OS to Big Sur since I use other apps that are not yet fully compatible with this upgrade, my solution for affinity was to downgrade to 1.8.4 and everything works fine again, I did notice a big difference when working with 16 bit images, but I still had hoped that my Mac specs would be enough to deal with a few of these every now and then, apart from the computer specs I specified I do not use any advanced pointer hardware other than an old basic Wacom tablet.

• 2 weeks later...

The same problem here: After upgrading to 1.8.6 with Big Sur affinity photo has become even more slow and crashes frequently. Sometimes starting the app takes 5 sec, sometimes 30 sec. Very unstable. During working the app seems to slow down gradually. Then, e.g. refining selections will become a pain. Brush actions are visible after 5 sec or more and the refining action is everything but refining. Also sometimes problems with adjustments: Although the results seems to be very good first, after inverting the mask, the brush reveals sometimes anything else but not the result before inverting. All these problems are especially related to HDR merging of raw files. Handling small jpg-files (less than 10 mega) seems to work better. 

Also impossible to keep more than 2-3 photo documents open. Working with the third photo will inevitably provoke crashing.   Is this related to Affinity photo or Apple who wants me to purchase a clean new expensive computer? iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014); 3,5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5; memory 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2 GB.  Other programs work as to this moment well and fast (not yet tried iMovie with Big Sur, iMovie issues have been visible sometimes with only 8 GB memory). I would like to keep my old computer and be content with the slowness if this would be the only problem (exporting to jpg takes sometimes 5 sec, sometimes 30 sec or more, I could live with that). 

Thanks. 

• 5 weeks later...

Hello

I cannot open more than 2 raw photos from my Mikon d610 (24.3 MP) in Affinity Photo 1.8.6.
When I open the third one, my computer crashes and the Imac restarts. (Imac Retina 5K, 27 ", 2019 3.7 GHz Intel Core i5 - 6 cores, 8 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, all original) macSO Catalina 10.15.7

Thanks