You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to select all Artistic Text in all pages/spreads in Affinity Publisher?

No. At least, not in 1.8, though it's possible 1.9 could add something.

However, depending on why you want to do it there might be alternatives. Are you having a problem that requires having the Artistic text as curves?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

hi @walt.farrell

I'm using Verdana for for a card game I'm designing (as a hobby in my free time). I'm about to go to production.

Verdana license for Windows (from what I understand) allows you to use Verdana for for commercial purposes but before sending it to publisher you have to convert Verdana text to Curves. The publisher will receive the Verdana text as curves and not as fonts, therefore it is according to license.

It's not allowed to send the card Game containing Verdana fonts as normal fonts. You have to convert it to Curves before sending it to a publisher or anyone else for commercial use.

Microsoft already paid (and therefore the customer indirectly) for the license to use Verdana commercially as long as it remains inside your computer. This is my understanding at least and I'm not lawyer so best to consult one before taking my comments as facts :)

Thanks for the additional information.

What export format will you use? If PDF, then in the More... dialog you can choose to convert all the fonts to curves during the export, leaving them as text in your original file.

image.png.14101027a0c0dc46b69158c1c5dd2c85.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I wasn't aware of that for pdf. Thanks. :o

1)

So which option do I choose in Embed Fonts, "Text as Curves"?

What does All Fonts option  mean and why is it in Embed Fonts, I'm not sure I understand what either of these mean? I know what the word Embed means but I'm not sure I understand it. Why not just have a check box called "Text as Curves".

2)

Also (curious question) if I am exporting to PNG, there is no option for Text to Curves. I assume it sort of does that automatically because it converts it to bitmap?

context: I'm asking because recently I've been sending prototypes to thegamecrafter.com , I'm newbie.

3)

Also I noticed with .SVG there is a checkbox called "Export text as curves", just FYI. nice to know. thanks.

Okay... I need to sort this out in my brain. Thanks @walt.farrell I was going to do it page by page if not for your advice.

1. Yes you want to have text converted to curves here, thus "Text as Curves". - Embed Fonts means that all in the doc used fonts are then embedded inside the PDF, this is handy if other people who are reading a PDF file don't have certain of those fonts installed on their OS (otherwise a PDF reader would use and associate other similar available fonts from an OS here).
  2. Yes, PNG is a bitmap format and thus any text will be there shown inside a PNG file as a bitmap/raster (as pixels) presentation of the initial text.
  3. Yes, for the SVG format, text can also be exported as vector curves instead of using SVG text+font definitions.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

37 minutes ago, aymanzone said:

So which option do I choose in Embed Fonts, "Text as Curves"?

What does All Fonts option  mean and why is it in Embed Fonts, I'm not sure I understand what either of these mean? I know what the word Embed means but I'm not sure I understand it. Why not just have a check box called "Text as Curves".

Actually you don't have to convert text to curves but may use the embed option for PDF export. This is the common use for PDF (initially invented as exchange format). Font foundries who don't want a user to embed their fonts may prevent it in their files, then those would create an error message on export.

(...) font foundries can forbid font embedding for certain typefaces through their end-user license agreement. In TrueType and OpenType fonts, they can add this restriction in the font data. Applications that properly honor the licensing policy of such a font will not embed it in a PDF. Only a few type foundries actually release fonts with such severe restrictions, but they do exist.

https://www.prepressure.com/pdf/basics/fonts

However, regarding Verdana I suppose this font does exist on every computer (though there maybe various versions around, for instance from a Microsoft app or OS or from a macOS installation).

Converting text to curves in a PDF will increase the PDF file size, depending on the amount of text the resulting size may be disturbing.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

ah, So @thomas 

According to your quote: 

Actually you don't have to convert text to curves but may use the embed option for PDF export.

does that mean I just choose All Fonts?

image.png.4846e6f40373b99772158e61866eeed6.png

My publisher asked me to set text to overprint when using Adobe -  "Black text should be pure black (C:0% M:0% Y:0% K:100%) and set to overprint"

So I'm trying to set text to overprint using Affinity Publisher. I'm assuming I need to "convert text to curves". My main objective is to find the overprint option in Affinity Publisher (I hope that makes sense)

Sorry for the string along.

Thank you

Thanks @Lagarto 

1)

But if you do want to base your export on "PDF (press ready)", then make sure that you do NOT embed the profile

What is the significance of "Embed The Profile" option. Isn't it just a tag with my ICC profile like FOGRA 39 for example?

I'm going to ask publisher https://pandagm.com/  if I can use PDF/X-1a:2003 instead of PDF (press ready), that will allow me to Embed the ICC profile (I guess?)

2)

I understand "Overprinting black" option, which I assume is equivalent to adobe's "set to overprint" for text. But what is the significance of Embed Fonts ? hmmm, I thought Embed Fonts was equivalent to Overprint in Adobe. I never noticed the "Overprint black" option until you screenshotted it.

Thank you.