You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pencil tool performs poorly

Hello,

When I draw using Affinity's Pencil tool I find that it won't recognise sharp edges and that it generates far too many nodes, yet it doesn't have any options for me to tweak to try to get the output I expect.

I like to find a constructive workaround but in this case I can't see any options to change the behaviour of the Pencil tool. I'd expect some sort of smoothing, tolerance or accuracy control. The stabiliser controls don't seem to affect the quality of the path generation.

I get the feeling that it's trying to be too accurate.

I've compared it with Illustrator and Xara Designer Pro's pencil tools which both trounce it.

Hi,

I recently asked for some help with drawing line segments, and learned about the pencil tools "sculpt" function.

This will not address all your concerns, but learning how to work with sculpt option can make it very easy to draw a sharp corner with the pencil tool, so you may find the option useful.

• 2 months later...

I understand what you mean, I have been using Affinity Designer 4 years, full time,
I also do tutorials to teach people how to use, 
I agree that the pencil tool really, really needs to have a better performance and stabilization over the nodes generated...

Right now I'm building many backgrounds, which needs organic shapes and forms.

I kind have frustration always when I see incorrect nodes to fix manually one by one,

t cost me a lot of time, and it interrupts my flow of free drawing,
even with the stabilizer turned on.

image preview attached showing the nodes generated

preview.png

Learn more: 🔴Youtube: Vectorize with Jhon
Follow me:      📷 Instagram     |    :227_bird: Twitter   |  📘  Facebook
Free Affinity Assets: https://gumroad.com/jhonsilva