You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Today I edited a Fuji X raw file from start to finish in AP. It was a straight forward edit but the way AP translated and edited the file was amazing. Easily as good and probably better in my view than the equivalent edit in Lr or C1. The base product is indeed first class. Just wish I could get plugins to work but I get a 100% failure rate for Nik and Topaz (even on the beta). I am on Mac. The other thing I miss is the TK7 (and similar) masking panels available in Ps, although I suspect I could work around that ok.

Hi Colin, I just purchased Affinity Photo and Publisher in the last few days and I'm very impressed with them. I've switched from pre-subscription versions of Adobe software. The Affinity applications are faster, smoother and have extra features.

One of the first things I looked at in Photo was the NIC plugins. I tried copying the files into the plugins folder but Photo wouldn't detect them. So I re-installed the NIC Collection and added a path to the AF Photo plugins folder in the NIC Collection Setup:

1878767142_AFPlugins1.jpg.6c4b1b7205a56ed8b99cbc76e2b781cc.jpg

As you can see below they are now detected by Photo:

242606882_AFPlugins.jpg.9df9686422be924317b0df6328461238.jpg

This is the old free Google version of the collection. I have tried Silver Efex Pro2, which is my mostly used plugin, and everything seems to work fine. I notice you are on a MAC but maybe you could try something similar.

Thanks for this Duoro. Does that not mean the plugins won't run in Ps though? If so no good for me as I am far from ready to ditch Adobe, the latest CC versions are excellent and I need Lr. I thought the idea was that AP should pick up the plugins from the Ps plugins folder. It is not doing that here so presumably it is an Affinity bug? They have not done well on the plugin front, it appears a very complex and unreliable solution. Of course I am running Big Sur so that might be the problem. Hopefully Affinity staff will let us know 🙂

Hi Colin, I can confirm that the plugins still work in Ps. You can see from the NIK Collection Setup screenshot that the list of hosts includes Ps and Bridge. The entry 'Photoshop Custom 1' is what appears in the list when you add the path to the Affinity plugins folder - the NIC setup allows you to browse to this location after you click the '+' button. On Windows the folder is here:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection

670484020_AFPlugins3.jpg.cff2defd334374c28cb9949c7b0c6c3e.jpg

You will notice setup creates exe files as well. From these you can create shortcuts on the desktop to run the plugins as stand alone programs as well as within Ps and Affinity:

250945622_AFPlugins4.jpg.f5598f0a0082cffa5f0beda8f0459398.jpg

Hope this helps

Thanks Duoro. I am on Mac and the OS has just upgraded to Big Sur so I am a little reluctant to play around just yet. Are there any Mac users on here with the issue - the plugin window in AP preferences is not seeing the Nik plugins in Ps? Can anyone form the AP staff offer any comment before I follow the route taken by Duoro? Thanks!

• Staff
25 minutes ago, ColinG said:

Thanks Duoro. I am on Mac and the OS has just upgraded to Big Sur so I am a little reluctant to play around just yet. Are there any Mac users on here with the issue - the plugin window in AP preferences is not seeing the Nik plugins in Ps? Can anyone form the AP staff offer any comment before I follow the route taken by Duoro? Thanks!

The following video should help you with this :)

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/393655120/

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

The new installer is out so can now install on Big Sur. Cannot get the plugins to install to AP though. The installer lets me set up the folder Adobe Photoshop Custom1 but does not physically create it in the directory. Installation continues through to the end ok and the Nik Suite works in Ps and Lr but there is no folder to access when trying to install the plugins into AP. Have raised a support request.

Hi Colin, Sorry to hear you're still having problems. When you do the NIK setup and add the extra host, make sure you point to the correct location for the Affinity plugins:

1635262622_AFPlugins1a.jpg.bdf8f10b00af24c99dc36ecaafbefd4a.jpg

When setup completes the NIK Collection is installed to 3 locations:

C:\Program Files\Google\Nik Collection

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Google

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0\Plugins\Google

I know you're on a Mac but hope this can help in some way.

• Staff

Hi @ColinG,
Set the Plugin Search Folders input to (that is, click the Add button and browse to): Macinstosh HD/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Plug-Ins/CC/DxO

Do not point it to Photoshop Plugins folder directly. Latest Adobe CC versions do not install the plugins there. Let me know if you still have issues.

The installer does not create the folder in the chosen directory. It just creates reference to it in the installer and then carries on to the end of the installation. I asked for the folder to be set-up on the desktop and after the install there is absolutely nothing there, even though the installer says it exists.

• Staff

Hi ColinG,
The above config/screenshot you posted (along with the yellow Unknown status for some of them) is the current/correct state for Nik Collection on macOS. I haven't tested them all yet with v1.9 - it's possible there's some issues we will have to look at during the Beta.

• Staff

Hi ColinG,
I've checked the new Nik Collection installer and indeed Viveza is crashing in Affinity Photo Retail and Beta on macOS Big Sur. It works fine on Mojave and Catalina.
I advise you to contact/report this issue to DxO directly. This is most likely an issue related with Big Sur changes and not Affinity directly.

12 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi ColinG,
I've checked the new Nik Collection installer and indeed Viveza is crashing in Affinity Photo Retail and Beta on macOS Big Sur. It works fine on Mojave and Catalina.
I advise you to contact/report this issue to DxO directly. This is most likely an issue related with Big Sur changes and not Affinity directly.

Thanks for checking, MEB. Have raised a ticket with DxO.