You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi All

I have had Affinity Photo for a long time but not really had time to get into it in a big way but now that I have retired I have the time on my hands to play with it.

I can do little bits to make my photos look  better by using the Tutorial. I'm also doing my family Tree and I have lots of old photos that I would like to add to the tree but most of them are not in good condition

like the one I have attach to this post. So my question is is it possible to do anything with photos like this or not? if it is possible can anyone point me in the wright direction please.

Thank you for your help

Andrew

Dads Dad.jpg

Yes, it is absolutely possible to improve photos like this, but it is not a 5 minute task to undertake.

There are many tools available which will help, and all of them will do slightly different things, but at the end of the day it all depends how much improvement you wish to do? If you've never done anything like this before then ahead of you waits a steep learning curve regarding the tools and their usage.

So. . .what is your ultimate intention on improvements?

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.

See for example:

... and other online articles/samples like that, if you do a google search about restoring old black & white photos, you should get a bunch of tutorials and articles about that theme.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Hi

I would like to improve the over all look of the photo. As I don't know what can be done ?

It's pixelate so if that can be inproved would be a good start the fence looks a bit odd in the background, lots of spots all over it, and get it back to a black & white photo.

so I know this would be a steep learning curve for me but I now have lots of time on my hands.

As mentioned above tutorials are quite helpful if you're a beginner - they will demonstrate the tools and how they work. Also, many techniques exist that will produce similar results in application, and it will come down to what tools you prefer.

The link below is quite useful and you should check it out because it's pertinent to your requirements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXc-Gh3rcN4&t=1655s

Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

These are not my own words but I sure like this quote.