You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Does the MAS version of 1.8.6 work/not work on Mojave?

Question: am on Mojave/10.14.6 with MAS versions of Designer and Photo installed. Upon opening 1.8.4 two days ago, I was greeted by a window that informed me that updates were available from the MAS, but--when I clicked the button to download--the MAS indicated that it could not download the updates. Not a problem for me. I'd bought the Mac versions of all three Affinity softwares a while ago (never bought Publisher from the MAS, only directly from the Affinity Store) from the Affinity store in anticipation that this might happen someday, so I deleted the MAS versions and downloaded the Mac .dmg files from the Affinity store. Back up and running. My question is this: did the MAS versions stop working on Mojave (and possibly below Mojave) when they were upgraded for Apple Silicon and Big Sur?

32 minutes ago, Quarian said:

Upon opening 1.8.4 two days ago, I was greeted by a window that informed me that updates were available from the MAS, but--when I clicked the button to download--the MAS indicated that it could not download the updates.

It was the same with me. Updating Publisher in MAS worked on the first click, Designer and Photo only on the fifth or sixth attempt.

In between I closed the App Store, deleted the cookies, disconnected the WLAN and had dinner.

Thanks to DeepL.

1 hour ago, Quarian said:

Question: am on Mojave/10.14.6 with MAS versions of Designer and Photo installed. Upon opening 1.8.4 two days ago, I was greeted by a window that informed me that updates were available from the MAS, but--when I clicked the button to download--the MAS indicated that it could not download the updates.
My question is this: did the MAS versions stop working on Mojave (and possibly below Mojave) when they were upgraded for Apple Silicon and Big Sur?

Nope, I too use Mojave on one Apple device and here the AppStore app recognized that there is an update for the actually intalled APh and ADe 1.8.4 versions. So I let it update to the 1.8.6 versions for these under Mojave, which worked without any problems. Afterwards starting both updated and now universal binary apps under Mojave was performed normally.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Hi @Quarian,

I'm happy to confirm that the latest update (1.8.6) is compatible with Mojave.

2 hours ago, Quarian said:

when I clicked the button to download--the MAS indicated that it could not download the updates.

This certainly sounds similar to other reports from users since Big Sur /M1 released - causing issues with Apples servers across all products / platforms. 

I suspect that you should be able to download these updates from the Mac App Store shortly, as Apple have said they're working on resolving this ASAP.

2 hours ago, Quarian said:

so I deleted the MAS versions and downloaded the Mac .dmg files from the Affinity store. Back up and running.

Please note, your apps will likely be in a 'Trial' state, as you don't have product keys for these .dmg versions (purchasing from the Mac App Store links the license to your Apple ID, rather than a product key) so you may only have 10 days to use the apps from this source, before you'll be prompted for a product key.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I too ran into the issue where I was informed by the MAS that there was an update to Photo as well as another program I have from them. When I tried to download either update , I was told that the updates could not be downloaded. After trying several different thing, it turned out that I was not signed in to my Apple ID.  Once I did that, the downloads worked. Photo 1.8.6 is running fine for me under the latest Mojave.

Although Auto Updates were turned on, I had to go to MAS, scroll drown to my account, purchase and only then did AP show as Update.  However, it did update after the go around.  Turned off Auto Updates to prevent Big Slur from downloading and installing.

Cecil 

iMac Retina 5K, 27”, 2019. 3.6 GHz Intel Core 9, 40 GB Memory DDR4, Radeon Pro 580X 8 GB, macOS,iPad Pro iPadOS

Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection