You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why are immages shrinking when I past them from the internet into publisher???

The question is in the title. When i right click and copy an image from the internet, affinity publisher shrinks it when pasting it. It didn't do this when I first installed the software. How can I fix this. I am doing spreads and can't figure out how to undo what ever happened to cause it in the first place.

Edited by Brooklyn
the question is getting lost in the details.

@Brooklyn The site isn’t hosting great quality images so trying to download the images from there is a waste of time as well as being a bit dodgy, plus, they have a right-click blocker script with copyright The Tarot Guide 2015-2020 text so my advice would be to walk away from that site. They can't copyright the Rider Waite Tarot cards but they can probably copyright their website and pages which is probably what they are doing.

An interesting note on the copyright of this tarot deck, which, by now is now in the public domain: https://sacred-texts.com/tarot/faq.htm#US1909

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

The image is placed with one image pixel being the size of one document pixel.

The size it will appear to be on the page depends on the pixel density of the page.

For example, the Print presets have a pixel density of 300 pixels per inch (ppi), whereas the Web presets have 72 ppi.

So what size is the original and what size does it end up?

So this image is 350 x 600px
maj00.jpg.4634f3534d811dc69a864a38a9eb7b65.jpg

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

When I copy and paste this one it is much bigger in publisher. I don't know how big though because I don't know how to determine that. I just know that the site I mentioned was working fine and now it's not. In general when I try to copy and paste images they seem to paste much much smaller than they used to in general.

The images look like they are being converted to webp for display. the site looks like a Wix site from the image link.

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

An interesting note on the copyright of this tarot deck, which, by now is now in the public domain

A note from Wiki Commons:

"Images related to the Rider-Waite tarot deck.

The original uncolored black-and-white card designs were published in the United States before 1923, and have been out of copyright in the United States for many years; however, they will not be public domain in the United Kingdom (the source country) until January 1, 2022. Note that colorized versions of the cards may in some cases remain copyrighted even after 2022."

(The artist, Pamela Colman Smith, died in 1951 and copyright, in the UK, lasts for 70 years from the death of the author/artist. AFAIK in the United States it is 70 years from the date of first publication.)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

5 hours ago, Brooklyn said:

Didn't know about the copyright thing. Thatdoesn't explain why images are being shrunk upon paste though

The post just before yours probably explains it, though:

5 hours ago, anon2 said:

The size it will appear to be on the page depends on the pixel density of the page.

(By the way, welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Also, have you been editing your posts and removing information? Your first post doesn't say where you're downloading from, as far as I can see, or what you downloaded, yet everyone who responded seems to know that you're downloading Tarot images. If you've been doing that kind of editing, please don't. It makes things very confusing for those reading the posts later.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1