You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Strange bug with history

So, I had this issue a few times, and I can't really pin point the exact scenario, but it more or less looks like this:

I use clone or healing tools (maybe inpainting tool too), extensively, to fix some areas of the photo (usually larger ones), while doing this, I think, I use undo (ctrl+z) a bit too.

What I get is that sometimes parts of my work disappear, like the layer gets cleaned, at least in part, in the offscreen parts (I work zoomed in). There is nothing in history that shows what could have happened, and going back I can see a lot of entries, but  it's like glitching a bit when sliding all the way to beginning of history and I can see parts of my work being removed and applied with each history step. Unfortunately last time I could not record this but I will try to do this. I'm also writing this to check if anyone else has had similar issues with latest releases?

"I'm a lumberjack and I'm OK, I sleep all night, and I work all day..."

Ok, got it to happen again. I worked on a new layer with healing and inpainting brushes set to 'current layer and below', and after some times I spotted that it's mostly clean even tho some time earlier it was covered with my fixes. After saving and closing that image it was still mostly clean of my fixes.

• 2 weeks later...

So I managed to grab some clips of the bug while streaming today:

you can see I'm painting and then it clears the layer when I undo, I'm not good at clipping but in these two you can see that moving back in history does not fix it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/AbstruseTallSquidTheRinger

https://clips.twitch.tv/ObliviousCrispyDolphinUncleNox

Depending on context this can be very detrimental to the work as you may not notice that the later got cleared (zoomed into anther part of image) and can cause loss of work.

I'll try to remember about this. Will a "save as..." work or only "save" is good?

ps. Hopefully you could grab that error (as in, see what I mean), one video shows me traveling the history and you can see it bugging a bit out.

Hi, I have two files I 'save as' after this issue happened and I think i did two saves one after some undo the other right after I spot the error. They are 1,2GB each, can you send me an upload link?

2 minutes ago, TEcHNOpls said:

Is it possible to embed history into a afphoto file?

Use File > Save History with Document before Saving.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Looks like you've just created a branch in the history. The stuff is not lost, but just on the other branch. Click on the branch icon, and you should see the history change , and all your "missing" stuff in there. 

Screenshot 2021-01-06 at 09.24.59.png

Here's the thing, I didn't move all the way back to have all the work gone, If you looked at my videos eralier, there was one undo step making everything gone.

Also, look how image 2812 history behaves, there is nothing drawn there only some leftovers of a brush stroke, this whole layer should be coverd by lines.

2021-01-06_13-17-45.mkv

@Gabe I had to reedit the post, hope you won't mind.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.