You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Startup performance 1.8.6 (and 1.9.0, 1.9.1)

@Pattebear,

A couple of suggestions (you might already have thought off)

1. Did you (and others with this problem) try to start-up in Safe-mode" and restart afterwards. ?

2. Did you try working with Affinity without an internet connection (If Grinning Shark is correct, this might help)

3. Is it possible to install the version from Affinity website, because that runs smoothly (almost ;)). I suppose you have to contact support before you do this.

HtH

Ben

@MacGB

First thank you for your hints. I started up in safe mode and I also switched off the WLAN. It seems that Affinity works a little faster now but not really fast as in the previous version. 

The website version would be interesting but for Mac (where I usually work) I have chosen the AppStore Version. I only own a windows version which I actually don't use.

Regards

Roland

8 minutes ago, Pattebaer said:

The website version would be interesting but for Mac (where I usually work) I have chosen the AppStore Version. I only own a windows version which I actually don't use.

Regards

Roland

Your welcome,

Well I work on a Mac also, but from the start I used the download version from Affinity website.  Their latest version really runs very fast, (has some quirks though in Big Sur), so what I mean is that perhaps you can uninstall the AppStore version and replace it by the download version of Affinity. Then again I think you need to contact technical support on this matter, as I really don’t know if this is a possibility.

• Staff

Hi Pattebaer,
It will not work. The Mac App Store version is managed by Apple themselves. It doesn't use product keys - the app is automatically associated with your Apple ID when you purchase it, contrary to the Affinity Store version which do use product keys. It's not possible to exchange licenses between stores, unless you have bought it recently in the Mac App Store and can get a refund from them to purchase in the Affinity Store but that's a different case anyway, sorry.

37 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Pattebaer,
It will not work. The Mac App Store version is managed by Apple themselves. It doesn't use product keys - the app is automatically associated with your Apple ID when you purchase it, contrary to the Affinity Store version which do use product keys. It's not possible to exchange licenses between stores, sorry.

Is it true, even when I buy a product key for the download version? Of course I know that the AppStore Version is connectec to my itunes Account.

So is it possible to switch from the AppStore version by unistalling it to the download version with a product key. If yes, will I lose all the connections to plugins, macros etc?

PS: After MacGB'S hints I shut down the computer again, startet Affinity (works slow), then shut down Affinity and start again. Suddenly now it rund quite fast. Also storing files is quite fast now. You should try, perhaps it works for anybody as well.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:28 PM, MEB said:

Hi @MarcV, @GrinningShark, @Pattebaer,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thank you all for reporting this issue. v1.8.6 does take a lot longer to start than the previous version. Are you all using the Mac App Store version?
Issue logged to be looked at.

Hi... I've got the same issue after updating to v1.8.6 though I did use the update function of affinity itself (using macOS Big Sur). Now, It takes close to 30 seconds (!) to start publisher and photo (starting the apps again after closing them completely it is much faster, by the way - less than 5 seconds!) Any news about that issue?

Also seeing a slow load time on my new M1 MacBook Air.  Doesn't seem to matter if other apps are open or not, so it seems to be a launch issue.  With the SSD speeds of the new MBA, it should be loading very fast.

BTW, once loaded, it seems the M1 optimized version on my MacBook Air (8 CPU/8 GPU) runs lightning fast!!

All the apps are very slow to load on first launch (15+ seconds), but subsequent launch times are more in-line with what you would expect (2-3 seconds). Running macOS 10.15.7 (2020 MPB, 32GB RAM) and using the Affinity store (not Apple App Store) current release (1.8.6) versions.

• Staff

Hi robinp, Michael_123, woodmeister,  Bryan Rieger,
We are aware of the longer time the application takes to launch on a cold boot, both on macOS Catalina and Big Sur on Intel and Apple M1 systems. We are investigating what's going on and will update this thread as soon as we have some news. Thank you all for the feedback/details about OS's and Affinity versions. Much appreciated.

@Michael _123, @woodmeister,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

I have designer from apple store and photo from affinity website. both opens super slow - approx 45-53 "jumps" of the icon. so its not the source of the software its the software after bigSUR and 1.8.6 update it went south. I have MacBook Pro, 16GB, 500GB SSD and i5 10th gen. Hope Affinity is going to sort it out soon. Cheers

On 11/23/2020 at 6:10 PM, GrinningShark said:

I kicked off Activity Monitor and noticed that SYSPOLICYD was chowing on the CPU on that first launch of each and it kicked in right as I clicked on the application in the dock.  Not sure if this will give you another clue to help determine the source of the problem.  Subsequent launches do not appear to trigger SYSPOLICYD like the first launch.

See related:

... which for sure has been even expanded further for Catalina and Big Sur.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

@MEB  Just thought you would like to know that 1.8.6 can function perfectly.  I have a new MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 chip.   I migrated everything from my iMAC High Sierra over to the MacBook with the three Affinity apps all using 1.8.4.  On the iMac, Photo takes over 6 seconds to launch, Designer and Publisher about 3-4 seconds.   I deleted the three apps from the MacBook and then downloaded all three v. 1.8.6  from my account in the Affinity Store.   They all downloaded without a glitch, and I have tried all sorts of things that seemed to have stumped others, so far using Photo.  Everything so far is working like a charm.  I purposely turned the MacBook off over night and then restarted today.  Opened Photo, Designer, and Publisher and it took about 2 seconds for each one to open.  No bouncing ball, just a really speedy startup.  So far the only "glitch" is that I cannot install two JixiPix plugins, but that would appear to be an issue with those apps, not with Big Sur and Affinity.  Happy as a clam!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

1 hour ago, jmwellborn said:

@MEB  Just thought you would like to know that 1.8.6 can function perfectly.  I have a new MacBook Pro 13" with the M1 chip.   I migrated everything from my iMAC High Sierra over to the MacBook with the three Affinity apps all using 1.8.4.  On the iMac, Photo takes over 6 seconds to launch, Designer and Publisher about 3-4 seconds.   I deleted the three apps from the MacBook and then downloaded all three v. 1.8.6  from my account in the Affinity Store.   They all downloaded without a glitch, and I have tried all sorts of things that seemed to have stumped others, so far using Photo.  Everything so far is working like a charm.  I purposely turned the MacBook off over night and then restarted today.  Opened Photo, Designer, and Publisher and it took about 2 seconds for each one to open.  No bouncing ball, just a really speedy startup.  So far the only "glitch" is that I cannot install two JixiPix plugins, but that would appear to be an issue with those apps, not with Big Sur and Affinity.  Happy as a clam!!

FWIW, my website-downloaded versions worked normally for 2 weeks then suddenly had delayed startup.  Seems neither app-store or website versions are immune.

On 12/17/2020 at 10:15 AM, Patrick Gilmour said:

Just to add, non-MAS version on Intel Mac (3.1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 | 16GB RAM) is showing the same problem on my Mac running Big Sur 11.0.1

Publisher, Photo and Designer are all taking 25-30 second to launch. Previously it was less than half this.

Problem persists with Big Sur 11.1 (Mac Intel)

On 11/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, MEB said:

Thanks for the info @curlypaws, much appreciated. Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Anyone else experiencing this on Catalina besides @MarcV and @GrinningShark?

Yes, macOS 10.15.6 Catalina, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) 8 GB RAM, Affinity Publisher 1.8.6 (directly from Affinity downloaded version), opening a book of 300 pages, text mostly, few pictures, had saved that file from within Affinity Publisher. When I open Affinity Publisher it opens, only when I load a file like the one below or create a new file from presets it stalls with a spinning beach ball.
I need this book urgently and already have worked hours on the text which now is lost/locked. Have tried redownload and deleting preferences to no avail.
Patrick Gilmour suggested restarting the Mac and indeed that did solve the issue.

Edited by SwissEngineer
Redownloaded the App from Affinity, and restarted Mac, solved the issue, so deleted the file, let me know if you want it again.

2 hours ago, SwissEngineer said:

Yes, macOS 10.15.6 Catalina, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) 8 GB RAM, Affinity Publisher 1.8.6 (App store version), opening a book of 300 pages, text mostly, few pictures, had saved that file from within Affinity Publisher. When I open enclosed file, Affinity Publisher opens and then show the spinning beach ball for at least 8 hours.
I need this book urgently and already have worked hours on the text which now is lost/locked.

Ich_schaff's_Spanisch.afpub

@SwissEngineer

I'm able to open that file without issues. Sounds like it's not the same issue as this thread is addressing.

Have you tried force-quitting Publisher rebooting your Mac and trying again?

2 hours ago, SwissEngineer said:

Yes, macOS 10.15.6 Catalina, MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) 8 GB RAM, Affinity Publisher 1.8.6 (App store version), opening a book of 300 pages, text mostly, few pictures, had saved that file from within Affinity Publisher. When I open enclosed file, Affinity Publisher opens and then show the spinning beach ball for at least 8 hours.
I need this book urgently and already have worked hours on the text which now is lost/locked.

Ich_schaff's_Spanisch.afpub

This thread is mainly about how long it takes to just launch (start) any of the Affinity apps without opening any data files (ie., just clicking one of the app icons to launch it).  That's the issue everyone here is talking about.