You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash Report: Reorder swatches in panel

Nazario

I've never been able to reorder the swatches in the swatch panel without Affinity immediately crashing to desktop. Please can you finally fix this as its very frustrating.

Also you REALLY need to fix the mismatch between the colour of the swatches and what you actually see on the page. The difference is vast even when working in a purely RGB set up. The problem is then compounded when using tints of a colour. You just don't know which swatch is which without either having to have list view active showing the actual code/name.

Crash report for reordering issue attached.

crash.rtf

36 minutes ago, Nazario said:

Also you REALLY need to fix the mismatch between the colour of the swatches and what you actually see on the page. The difference is vast even when working in a purely RGB set up.

In what way are they different, I see no difference at all between the swatch colour and how that colour appears on page, but maybe I'm missing your point?

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hard to see in the screen shot but the elements on the page are a different colour to the swatches in the panel. 

If you colour pick the highlighted light blue in the palette and the element on page on the left you will get two different hex values.

Some colours its a big difference. This is on a CMYK document. Yes I understand im looking at CMYK through an RGB spectrum but the colours should match on screen at least.

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 16.24.16.png

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 16.22.20.png

Screenshot 2020-11-14 at 16.22.15.png

• Staff

Hi Nazario,

The crash is a known issue and happens when you attempt to re-arrange a 'System' Palette (as opposed to Document or Application).

With regards to the colour being different, I've just created a CMYK swatch of 39,15,0,0 and it looks the same in both the Swatches Panel and an RGB document for me. See attached. Could you share the document attached in your screenshot that contains the document palette please?

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 15.38.22.png

Thanks Sean. Does that mean you're unable to fix the System palette bug because its linked to the system?

Attached is the file. Look at the darker grey the difference is much easier to see. Ive also attached a screen shot of the difference even in the swatch panel. The inkwell is clearly a different shade to the grey underneath the palette name 'Unamed'. Thats supposed to be the same colour!

Also for a clear comparison ive coloured picked those two and attached them too.

In the document the two colours are named as Pantone colours. They aren't spot colours however. I mixed them using CMYK sliders based on the CMYK values from a physical Pantone Bridge book. I've done this to get a more consistent match between Pantone and CMYK conversion. The document will be printed CMYK but I named them the Pantone colours to get used to the numbers/names as I work with them for future documents. Helps them stick in my brain for the future lol.

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 16.13.06.png

test.afpub

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 16.19.32.jpg

Screenshot 2020-11-16 at 16.19.38.jpg

Actually Sean... I think its me! I've just tried adding the actual Pantone 433 spot to the palette and it looks like the one in the screen shot under unnamed. If I create the swatch from CMYK sliders it comes out fine so Im wondering if in my trial and error choosing colours, Ive edited a Pantone and deleted the CMYK swatch I needed?! Guess that will teach me not to rename CMYK colours to pantones haha. I think you can ignore this one, sorry.

If the colour palettes were more manageable though it would really help make things easier. A simple icon denoting which swatch is a spot would help, unless its there and I'm missing something?

• Staff

Hi Nazario,

Thanks for the file - I presume your original colour swatches come from an Apple System Palette, based on the crash you were getting?

I have noticed that when adding colours using Apple's Colour Picker that you can specify the CMYK profile to use, so for example a CMYK value of 60, 42, 31, 39 looks incredibly different using US Web Coated SWOP v2 vs Japan Color 2002 Newpaper. 

Unfortunately these values are showing in the Swatches Panel just as though you had that profile set, but when applied to your shape they're using your profile's document so will look different. I'll get it passed on to Development and see if that is behaviour that can be changed or whether its an unfortunate side effect of the way system palettes save colour profiles.

Ah ok. Thats good to know. I'll admit I was confused after my last post where I thought it was me because I had noticed this happen before. I assumed in my last post and in this case I think its true, I was unknowingly working with a spot and not the CMYK I thought I was.

At least something was found in the end.

Ive created a thread here about colour panels which you may find interesting.