Jump to content
David56

ICC profiles not loading in 1.8.6

Recommended Posts

Updated to 1.8.6 after loading Big Sur on my iMac.  The additional ICC profiles I have downloaded from Canon and Permajet for their papers and stored in Library>ColorSync>Profiles are not being picked up for Soft Proof although they do appear in the printer dialogs.  Tried restarting both Affinity Photo and the computer to no avail.  They will temporarily appear by opening an image which has a soft proof set for a particular paper but this disappears again when Affinity Photo is restarted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem. Profiles all there in the colour sync library and working fine on Capture One, Photoshop etc. Since the update to Big Sur and 1.8.6 (wish I'd waited!) Affinity only picks up a small set of profiles and ignores all the custom ones painstakingly built over time. Restarting everything is no help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

It looks like ICC profile stored in /Library/ColorSync/Profiles/ as mentioned above are not being picked up if they are not default.

This is logged to be looked at—my apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many thanks - that is what it looks like from my perspective. Defaults are there, and if I open an image which has been soft proofed with one of the custom profiles, that particular one is picked up for that image only, but not elsewhere and none of the others are visible. Hope that bit of extra info is of some help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've managed to get around the problem (temporarily) by copying the Soft Proof from one document to another - but this only works if I'm using the same profile (and therefore the same paper). If I need to change paper ....

Biff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HA! Solved. Possibly.

You'll need an open document (image). In Photo Persona - File -> Import ICC Profile. Navigate to the required profile(s) and select it (them). Maybe only one at a time.

Biff 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And another thing (sorry, but I keep looking)

The Colour Profiles seem to be stored in /Users/Me/Library/Containers/Affinity Photo/Data/Library/Application Support/profiles (at least that is where my previous post put the ones I imported). 

Biff

Edited by BiffBrown
To edit the pathname

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm .... I thought I had got round it with something similar but when I tried to print, the colours came out very strange and only half the colours  printed. It could of course be something else in my setup and I will try and chase that down tomorrow, but it would be a bit of a coincidence for something else to fry itself at the same time, as it was working perfectly the day before I upgraded, and printing from Capture One still works fine. I wonder if it is not looking up the profile correctly? However, I will try again tomorrow, also via Photoshop and see if I can add any more info to help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same problem with soft proof.  Confirmed ICCs in Library same as under Catalina.  I was able to load selected ICCs into Softproof dialod window using AF's  File/Import ICC.  Also, my Canon Pro 100 print window lacks all paper choices as well as access to colorsync ICCs. 

Anyone have a solution to get things back to how they worked under Catalina?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had copied profiles manually and confirm my earlier post having tried a few more times and checked everything else in the setup - even AP it thinks it has the profiles, what comes out of the printer is completely unusable - only about a third of the colours print. Tried the same print with PS and C1 and all fine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've printed a couple of images out, using Soft Proofing, with no problems. I think the pathname in version 1.8.6 has been changed.

I'm not sure why you're have problems, Christhephoto. I'm wondering: have you got "Gamut Check" selected? The greyed out areas (that are out of gamut) may print grey unless corrected. Have a look at this legacy video from Affinity: https://player.vimeo.com/video/152413642/ It may be for an older version Affinity Photo, but it's still relevant (i.e. it still works). I wish they'd hurry up and update all the tutorial videos.

Hope it all works out.

Biff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hola.

Muchas gracias por su ayuda, al fin ya puedo ver los perfiles de prueba en Affinity Photo, aunque he tenido que colocarlos en la ruta:

/Users/yo/Library/Application Support/Affinity Photo/profiles

Como puede verse en la captura de pantalla.

Un saludo

Google translator
Hi.

Thank you very much for your help, I can finally see the test profiles in Affinity Photo, although I had to place them on the path:

/ Users / me / Library / Application Support / Affinity Photo / profiles

As can be seen in the screenshot.

A greeting

Captura de pantalla 2020-11-21 a las 17.44.51.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2020 at 5:18 PM, Christhephoto said:

Hmmm .... I thought I had got round it with something similar but when I tried to print, the colours came out very strange and only half the colours  printed. It could of course be something else in my setup and I will try and chase that down tomorrow, but it would be a bit of a coincidence for something else to fry itself at the same time, as it was working perfectly the day before I upgraded, and printing from Capture One still works fine. I wonder if it is not looking up the profile correctly? However, I will try again tomorrow, also via Photoshop and see if I can add any more info to help

I am also having strange colours, with half of them missing, when printing with a Canson icc paper profile selected.  I'm using 1.8.6 on an iMac with Big Sur and printing to an Epson SC-P800.  The profile works fine with other apps on Big Sur, but not with AP - I get a pale weird looking print that is a washed-out version of what it should be.  If I don't use the Canson profile, but let the printer deal with the colours, the AP prints a reasonable version - but obviously the colours are not as correct as they should be.  I really need to be able to use the custom paper profiles to get accurate colours.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A printed image will never look like the screen image - you see them differently (reflected light of a print versus transmitted light of the screen).

The Soft Proof layer will show how the image it look like when printed. To print, you need to turn off the Soft Proof layer. You use the Soft Proof to make correction so the image gamut matches (as best as possible) the paper gamut. Check out the video https://player.vimeo.com/video/152413642/ 

Regards,
Biff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Biff, many thanks. Completely get that, and all the print workflow is well bedded in over a few years now, including turning off the soft proof layer before printing. I know that one's caught many people out! Thing is, it worked perfectly the day before Big Sur upgrade, and now not. It seems not to be registering the custom profiles at all when it comes to instructing the printer. I can get an approximation using sRBG or Adobe, but clearly that does not match the paper characteristics in the way that a custom calibrated paper profile does. Anyway, I think I'll just stick with PS for now - hopefully affinity read this and will look into it, with an update at some point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Christhephoto said:

turning off the soft proof layer before printing. I know that one's caught many people out! 

Aye - been there, done that. I'll probably get a T-shirt next time. 😁

All the best,
Biff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi.
Similar problem, but not quite the same. After updating to Big Sur and 1.8. 6 the ability to choose 'Colour Matching' has disappeared from my Epson P600 printer. Though  it still shows my presets. However using those is useless as they now result in weird colours as mentioned above. Interestingly my everyday HP printer still retains the ability to close colour matching. Please see attached screen shots.

This is the same on AP, AD & AP and all my other apps.

Tried to correct by downloading Epson drivers and firmware but both read they cannot find my Epson printer even though it is switched on and working.

 So its it Affinity  or Big Sur?

Suggestions gratefully received. John

27th Nov Update: Emailed Epson UK as I thought it might be a driver problem . They have replied saying that updated drivers are being rolled out progressively but there is not one currently available for OS Mac Big Sur for SC-P600 printer. They did not offer an opinion as to whether it was a driver problem.

HP Envy 5532.jpg

Epson P6000.jpg

Edited by jhmdigital
update

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2020 at 3:44 PM, jhmdigital said:

Hi.
Similar problem, but not quite the same. After updating to Big Sur and 1.8. 6 the ability to choose 'Colour Matching' has disappeared from my Epson P600 printer. Though  it still shows my presets. However using those is useless as they now result in weird colours as mentioned above. Interestingly my everyday HP printer still retains the ability to close colour matching. Please see attached screen shots.

This is the same on AP, AD & AP and all my other apps.

Tried to correct by downloading Epson drivers and firmware but both read they cannot find my Epson printer even though it is switched on and working.

 So its it Affinity  or Big Sur?

Suggestions gratefully received. John

27th Nov Update: Emailed Epson UK as I thought it might be a driver problem . They have replied saying that updated drivers are being rolled out progressively but there is not one currently available for OS Mac Big Sur for SC-P600 printer. They did not offer an opinion as to whether it was a driver problem.

HP Envy 5532.jpg

 

I had exactly the same problem (no Colour Matching option) when I first used AP with Big Sur and my Epson P800 printer.  Like you I checked Epson for new drivers, with no luck.  However simply deleting the printer from the System Prefs>Printers list, and then adding it again, cured the problem.  Worth a try with your P600?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2020 at 12:34 PM, JPR said:

I am also having strange colours, with half of them missing, when printing with a Canson icc paper profile selected.  I'm using 1.8.6 on an iMac with Big Sur and printing to an Epson SC-P800.  The profile works fine with other apps on Big Sur, but not with AP - I get a pale weird looking print that is a washed-out version of what it should be.  If I don't use the Canson profile, but let the printer deal with the colours, the AP prints a reasonable version - but obviously the colours are not as correct as they should be.  I really need to be able to use the custom paper profiles to get accurate colours.. 

I can confirm that I'm having this issue as well. Whenever I use my custom color profiles, majority of the colors are missing in my print. This is a huge deal for me right now because I'm now not able to get accurate colors. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am also having printing profile issues in Big Sur (with the entire suite) and my Canon PIXMA PRO-10, but only with my custom iStudio profiles.  The suite is alright with the profiles distributed by Canon.  Acorn and Preview have no issues with the custom profiles.2020-11-21-0001.tif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, wjb said:

I am also having printing profile issues in Big Sur (with the entire suite) and my Canon PIXMA PRO-10, but only with my custom iStudio profiles.  The suite is alright with the profiles distributed by Canon.  Acorn and Preview have no issues with the custom profiles.2020-11-21-0001.tif

That's exactly what my prints look like right now with my custom ICC profiles and Epson F570. Super frustrating!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please note the Annual Company Closure section in the Terms of Use. These are the Terms of Use you will be asked to agree to if you join the forum. | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.