You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Dockable Toolbar (actually applies to all products)

Photoshop/Adobe set a standard for all apps, apparently, by putting the vertical toolbar on the lefthand side of the app. This is wonderful--for left-handed users. Being right-handed, I moved and docked the toolbar to the "panels" window on the right side of the app many years ago meaning I no longer had to move the mouse cursor back and forth cross screen which is, IMHO, wasted motion. I do the same in Affinity Photo but the tools do not dock (become "sticky") to the panels window. This suffices BUT my request is that in a future release of Affinity products you make the toolbar, and similar windows, dockable to the panels window or any other windows within the app. Perhaps southpaws would also like to dock the panels to the toolbar on the left side of the app.

I think this *might've* been suggested a year-and-a-half ago but since it still hasn't been addressed, I thought a refresh might be in order.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 11/14/2020 at 4:35 AM, Pafoofnik said:

I think this *might've* been suggested a year-and-a-half ago but since it still hasn't been addressed, I thought a refresh might be in order

A louder reminder might be required! Preferably the tools could be docked anywhere (including at top), and resized to any shaped panel - either horizontal or vertical. That said, all I really need is a vertical version (one column or two) that docks to the RIGHT.  I'm sure we're not the only right-handers using the software (and I can't be the only Wacom user). If I ruled the world of Affinity I'd stop development of any new features or tools and spend a year or two on sorting out the whacky UI stuff. The programs do 99% of what I need, that just don't make it easy. By that I mean both ease of learning and efficiency of use. There's a lot that's good, but plenty that could be vastly improved with a bit of thinking (or even just.....copying)

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

• 1 year later...
On 11/13/2020 at 6:35 PM, Pafoofnik said:

Photoshop/Adobe set a standard for all apps, apparently, by putting the vertical toolbar on the lefthand side of the app. This is wonderful--for left-handed users. Being right-handed, I moved and docked the toolbar to the "panels" window on the right side of the app many years ago meaning I no longer had to move the mouse cursor back and forth cross screen which is, IMHO, wasted motion. I do the same in Affinity Photo but the tools do not dock (become "sticky") to the panels window. This suffices BUT my request is that in a future release of Affinity products you make the toolbar, and similar windows, dockable to the panels window or any other windows within the app. Perhaps southpaws would also like to dock the panels to the toolbar on the left side of the app.

I think this *might've* been suggested a year-and-a-half ago but since it still hasn't been addressed, I thought a refresh might be in order.

Thanks!

this is theorist feature that I miss in converting my workflow from adobe to affinity photo. 

It would be great to have more flexibility in setting up the I individual workspace. 

I was so used to have the wortools on the right side that I really miss this in affinity. 
If this is possible I might join affinity 100%. 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the latest beta, we're still not able to dock the Tools Panel to the right. Makes no sense, since we can dock the other panels where we want them.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, FraGar said:

You can dock it, but you have to take it on the outside of the Main Window to do this.

Same on the right hand side, you have to take it on the right side of the window.

image.thumb.png.61ca42221ecbc69b34a33ec4f7370da6.png

image.thumb.png.b97eef1dd403fa8c7b726ff67fcb4ae3.png

This isn’t what’s meant I’m afraid. It’s the main toolbar that needs to be moved from left to right- the only window that can be docked by double clicking the word ‘Tools’. There is no choice of where it docks at present, sadly.

24 minutes ago, Oli Putland said:

It’s the main toolbar

The Toolbar is the horizontal bar of tools at the top of the application window below the menu, and above the Context Toolbar. 

You are probably referring to the Tools panel, as in View > Customize Tools and as described in the Help: https://affinity.help/photo2/en-US.lproj/pages/Workspace/interface.html

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

12 hours ago, Oli Putland said:

This isn’t what’s meant I’m afraid. It’s the main toolbar that needs to be moved from left to right- the only window that can be docked by double clicking the word ‘Tools’. There is no choice of where it docks at present, sadly.

Oh, my mistake. I misunderstood what you ment here  

• 3 months later...
On 11/14/2020 at 4:35 AM, Pafoofnik said:

Thanks!

Just installed V2.2 and I still can't dock the toolbar anywhere except the left-side of the screen. It's not a big deal for me as I'm still using Adobe CC for all my production work, but it seems a long time to wait for such a simple feature. Ideally the tool palette could also be stretched out to horizontal or multiple columns, docked to the top or wherever you want it.  I'm using a Wacom and am right handed so it's much less effort to have all controls on the right side of the screen.

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM