You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer on iPad needs more work ....

I think this app can be great but it’s rather confusing as someone who is a beginner and also new to a similar program to illustrator it’d be nice if there were more tutorials made so people can learn how to use the program but also for beginners to get used to all the features and learn what each one does what. 

other things I feel it needs that’s in illustrator:

trace tool

more pencil brushes and art medium brushes

Snap to glyphs for Text and images

Alignment of objects to text

Text height options

• cap height
  • X-height
  • ICF height
  • Em box 

Unlock canvas objects while designing

Being able to re-color the whole of an artwork using color wheel 

A better color wheel system UI and easier way to add palletes and universal colors, all color settings and options in a drop down menu within the UI. Being able to have a floating color wheel 

recolor the UI of the program instead of it being grey or dark grey like how publisher allows you to choose between dark grey or white.

if anyone else has more suggestions feel free to add on to this! 

• 2 weeks later...

The UI overhaul is much overdue, the tactileness and clickeyness of menus and drop-downs is just janky and wobbly, never feels right and I’m never sure of what I selected. The iPad’s cursor hover effect is there where it should be but sometimes oddly missing from where it should be;  Don’t get me started on the layers and the masking interface; The glyph tool is missing, the “Blend with gamma” tool is literally not doing anything!, There’s no proper info panel. When you pan anywhere with two fingers, you get this incredibly blurriness and lag, sometimes I roll a dice with my friends and we gamble if the app is going to crash or not!

The selection tool is UNBELIEVABLY terrible! It’s remarkable, how it automatically goes and uniformly “refines” all edges once you click it and it ruins your whole selection. For seven months I was using the brush tool for hair selection, you can even see it in my previous posts. I still have a photoshop subscription *just* for selections. The Photoshop engine cannot be even compared to this, and the lack of “decontaminate colors” is really disappointing. 

Yet, this all is still decades ahead of Adobe’s mobile apps, even tho Adobe’s underlying engines are much much better. Adobe’s file opening can handle my 250MP 16-bit panorama with smooth panning, Affinity was blurring the screen to the point where I don't even know if I got the real file working or a 1MP preview. Affinity’s selections aren’t the same. And the way Affinity interprets and works with many more-advanced Photoshop brushes is just funny;

I think many things can be polished. But it’s just a question of time on when Adobe will catch up with the feature set, and then they will objectively win, even with their price point. We will come to a day when Adobe and Affinity have the same features, but Adobe has the superior app feel, superior design, performance, and engines. 

I did not come here to insult, no!!! I LOVE you guys and what you do! But you ARE in real danger, and I am scared because I don’t want to see you fall. I don’t know how much you can do with a flat $20 app fee for life. And maybe we’re expecting too much from you. I would even suggest adding a subscription model inside the app just for users who want to subscribe, don’t make it required, but let it be there. I would’ve personally paid much much more  for your apps, especially if that would make them better, because I want them to be.

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

I mean guys one bug where “check spelling” turns itself on all the time can’t be fixed in more than ONE YEAR

Hackintosh running Big Sur 11.2.3, Coffe Lake i3 with UHD630 graphics

MacBook (Early 2015) running macOS Mojave

iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation) running iPadOS 13.5

Vista PC in the attic 

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2020 at 12:32 AM, konstantnnn said:

I mean guys one bug where “check spelling” turns itself on all the time can’t be fixed in more than ONE YEAR

This one is driving me crazy! Here we are, like 3 month later and this shit still can't be disabled by default! How many people do their spelling check in the editing app?? Let me answer that for you: ZERO!

Another thing that drives me nuts: being able to set the rounded corners radius of a rounded rectangle numerically. This is very important in UI design where there are no guessing games and everything has to be pixel perfect. I would like to continue my UI design work at home on my iPad but it is a really terrible workflow. It might me great for illustrators but not for UI designers. It would be great if the iPad could support a proper arrow mouse cursor and have an option to toggle between the desktop or the mobile UI in Affinity Designer. And since you already have the desktop app working on the M1 Macs, this might be possible.

Check out my awesome Affinity Creations!