ivan lavosky

[By Design] Stroke flattened if exported to SVG

Hello, 

I found that certain combinations of stroke's cap, join & align resulting in flattened stroke if exported to SVG. Oddly, it's only happened in closed shape (stroke that its start meets with its end).
I exported to SVG using AD and opened the SVG using AI. 

Affinity Designer: 1.8.5.70
Adobe Illustrator: 2021 (25.0 for 64 bit) 

I have made the list of the combinations that you can try for yourself to reproduce the issue. 
Step to reproduce the issue:

- Open the file I provided and export it to SVG (for export)

Flattened Stroke Test.afdesign

Hi ivan lavosky,

Thanks for the detailed file, however this is unfortunately 'by design' and is due to the limitations of the SVG format not supporting a stroke's alignment setting. Therefore to ensure your file retains its look we expand this to be a closed shape that looks the same when viewed.

With that said there are some inaccuracies to note with your file:

• Open curves can never be set to Align Inner/Outer so will always be Align Centre (despite what may have been selected) so these will always export as strokes.
  • Number 6 and Number 9 both have their closed Shapes set (incorrectly based on your comments) to Align Centre so that would explain why those are 'green' and not getting expanded.
  • Number 15 is also getting expanded on output, yet is incorrectly set to green.

Hello Sean P,

Thanks for taking a look on my file & pointing out my incorrect comments. 
I also didn't know about that SVG format limitation. I thought it was potentially a bug.

So my best bet is leaving the "align" setting to "center".

Thanks for your clear explaination

Regards,