You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Ignores Print Preset Reverse Orientation

zimmt

I am using Print Presets in MacOS a lot and the "Reverse page orientation" option under "Layout" in the print dialog is not saved/respected by Affinity.

Looking closer at the printing preset .plist files I noticed that Affinity uses its own entry to save the orientation i.e. Portrait/Landscape vs using the default entry from MacOS.

MacOS uses com.apple.print.preset.Orientation to store an integer between 1 and 4 for Landscape, Portrait, Landscape + Reveres orientation, and Portrait + Reveres orientation.

Affinity bypasses this and uses com.serif.PrintSettings.Orientation to store an integer between 0 and 2 for Automatic, Landscape, and Portrait orientation.

Affinity thus ignores the "Reverse page orientation" setting because it is included within the Landscape/Portrait entry in the .plist file.

Not a terrible dealbreaker but one of those little quirks that don't really have to be.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @zimmt,

Thanks for letting us know - this is actually a really bizarre and weird issue, that I'm not entirely sure is out fault. I've found that the state of that checkbox isn't actually recalled correctly when using a Preset in Pages, but the same preset does recall it if I use Safari. If I use the option to view each presets settings you'll see that Safari does shoe that option as set, but Pages doesn't - very strange. See attached video.

I'll pass it over to development however to see if anything can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Sean for the video. I actually only tested Safari and Preview which behave standardly. Interesting to see a Mac app (Pages) also fail with reproducing the preset correctly.

I honestly believe it has to do with the fact the reverse orientation is included with the regular orientation setting (portrait/landscape) in the presets plist file. And some programs just read the portrait/landscape but ignore the reverse orientation.

Anyhow, thank you for passing it along.

• 3 weeks later...