You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

None of the 1.8.6 apps will launch today though were fine until now

Well, I have no idea how this happened--but after submitting this question to the Forum, I went offline and then clicked on Designer again, and let it bounce and bounce and finally it launched and said I needed to update to 1.8.6; this is odd, because the version already said 1.8.6 when I'd looked at  'About this app.'  So, I proceeded to again install 1.8.6 (for all 3 apps in the suite), and now they work.  Hope this assists someone else if they have the same situation!  Happy computing, All.

• Staff

@compoZer1

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :)

i think this may explain what was happening, and give you hope it won't come back

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

How do you update?
I bought Affinity Publisher 10 days ago and, after I read your post, I checked my version, and it is 1.8.5.703. I bought Affinity Photo yesterday and had been using both programs flawlessly since yesterday. But a few minutes ago, without any warning, every time I try to save my work, the program closes itself without saving.

I saved a version using "save as", and can access it, but if I try to save it, either using the shortcut keys or the drop down menu, it closes without saving.

• Staff
7 hours ago, Mirelsa Modestti said:

....I checked my version, and it is 1.8.5.703

If you have 1.8.5 then you have the latest available version for Windows. This thread is maintained so you can always check. 1.8.6 is a Mac specific rebuild made because of the release of a new macOS operating system Big Sur, so there is no need for an equivalent Windows Affinity suite release.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

14 hours ago, compoZer1 said:

Hello--I have all 3 Affinity apps, and all are 1.8.6.  All worked fine until today, when none of them will launch.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

An Apple Server error paralyzes many Macs

A problem that occurred on the evening of the Big Sur launch meant that many apps would not open or would only open slowly. Turning off the internet alone helped.

Late on Thursday, numerous Mac users encountered a serious problem: Apps no longer wanted to load and start or were extremely slow. Even reboots didn't help, because then programs that normally run in the background would not start correctly. All current operating systems were affected, including older ones such as macOS 10.14 and 10.15 (Mojave and Catalina). Some believed that the computer or its SSD was over. But strangely enough, the unpleasant behavior subsided as soon as you disconnected the Mac from the network, i.e. switched off WLAN support.

However, as developers and hackers quickly gathered on Twitter and other platforms, it was by no means a hardware problem. Instead, a certain server at Apple that is used for signature verification went on strike. The trustd daemon, which queries Apple's OCSP server (Online Certificate Status Protocol), apparently got no response.

The routine waits forever

Instead of stopping the signature check immediately, as is the case when there is no Internet connection, the daemon initially waited calmly for an answer - which again never came. That rocked up quickly, especially when opening several applications. This affected not only payment apps from the App Store but also all others that have now been "notarized" by Apple.

As a tip for solving the problem, locking the OCSP server in the hosts file or using tools such as Little Snitch has been recommended. The latter will soon no longer be possible, by the way, because such outbound firewalls are no longer allowed to see Apple's server traffic, which was introduced in Big Sur - under much criticism.

Some users affected

It is unclear what the reason for the problem was - but Apple's infrastructure was certainly well utilized due to the provision of macOS 11 on Thursday evening. Apple also announced the "performance problems" in the "Developer ID Notary Service" on its official status website. And there he wrote succinctly: "Some users affected."

Apple should urgently reconsider the fact that there has to be a server connection every time the app is started - or that it doesn't just seem to stop if there are connection problems. In addition to the Mac problems, there were a number of other failures on Thursday evening. In the meantime, neither Apple Pay, Apple Maps nor Messages did their job properly.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Having the same problem and same generated report. My software apps Designer and Photo are not loading on my Mac running OS X 10.13.6(just updated from OS X 10.12). Crashing before even loading. I purchased both apps five years ago, and done the subsequent updates with no past issues. I updated to 1.8.6 on Nov.13th with no problems. Then I updated my Mac OS on Nov.15th. Now the crashing problem. Could not find any answers in the forums. I've tried deleting and reinstalling, signing in & out of the App Store, reinstalling from the App Store, restoring apps with Time Machine, restarting in safe mode, deleting preference files...still nothing. Then I saw this post. Yeesh what to do? After click the App icon - There is always a note; "Affinity Designer quit unexpectedly. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple." With a Problem report generated. There does seem to be one standout to my eye in the report; "EXC_CRASH (Code Signature Invalid)". Both apps are unavailable to use.

Apple first commented on the massive macOS problems last Thursday evening. In connection with the release of macOS 11 alias Big Sur, various servers at the group went on strike for hours, which led to a certificate check that could not be carried out. Macs that were on the Internet then refused to start numerous apps, and neither a restart nor other measures seemed to help. However, if the machine was disconnected from the network, the OCSP server request (Online Certificate Status Protocol) was automatically stopped and the apps ran as desired.

How gatekeeper works

In a freshly supplemented support document, Apple now writes what the company is actually doing - and even praises improvement. macOS is "designed in such a way that it ensures user security, protects your data and at the same time respects your privacy." The gatekeeper routine conducts an online check to determine whether an app contains malware and whether its developer signature has been withdrawn. Apple "never combined data from these reviews with information about Apple users or their devices." The data generated during these checks are also not used to "find out what individual users are starting or running on their devices".

IP addresses have been saved

The notarization checks whether an app contains known malware and uses "an encrypted connection" that is "stable" against server errors. Unfortunately, Apple does not explain why the outages on Thursday occurred. The company also announced that these security checks "never" included the user's Apple ID or the identity of the devices. However, the group apparently saved the associated IP address until recently. But this has now been "ended". In the future, IP addresses will no longer be logged in connection with developer ID certificate checks, and one will "ensure that all IP addresses collected are removed from the logs". This is the first time that Apple has expressed itself to this logging, which is quite a problem in terms of data protection.

Apple wants to revise the protocol and offer an opt-out

The group also announced that it would work in the future with a "new encryption protocol" in order to check developer ID certificates for their withdrawal - why this is planned - and whether the existing protocol may have weaknesses - the group does not say. In addition, Apple promises "strong protection against server failures" in the future, as well as a new settings menu with which users can completely switch off these security checks (opt-out). Apple did not specify any time for this.

... and so on ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Many thanks to each of you who supplied such helpful explanations; it is great to understand better how all the pieces fit together between the apps and Apple's approval system.  I hope everyone's apps and system are OK again!  Looking forward to future conversations....  

On 11/12/2020 at 10:19 PM, compoZer1 said:

Hello--I have all 3 Affinity apps, and all are 1.8.6.  All worked fine until today, when none of them will launch.  Any suggestions?  Thank you.

Well well well... Big Sur(veillance)

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

On 11/18/2020 at 4:30 AM, Jowday said:

Well well well... Big Sur(veillance)

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

thank you. I didn't feel any urge to upgrade and I am still mostly running Sierra apart from one up that absolutely insists on Mojave. And yes I love little snitch , find it more important than ever. They can put their Big Brother or Gran Sur where the sun don't shine IMHO.

Thank you to all who contributed to this thread. I think I'll wait to update Affinity until there is an actual update with new features.

2019 MacBook Pro 16” | Affinity Designer 2 | Affinity Photo 2 | Affinity Publisher 2

2018 iPad Pro 12.9” | Apple Pencil 2 | Affinity Designer for iPad 2 | Affinity Photo for iPad 2 | Affinity Publisher for iPad 2

Years with Affinity: 5 ❤️ https://www.instagram.com/cealcrest/

FEATURE WISH LIST  Vector Mesh Tool    Shape Builder Tool   🥚True Vector Brushes   🥚Vector Pattern Fill  🥚Studio Link in All Apps

APP WISH LIST  Publisher   🥚2D Animation/Video

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
1 minute ago, Freddie360 said:

To cut to the quick, is this something Apple will fix soon or is it an Affinity problem?

Apple have started doing more checking at the OS level. Affinity will continue to have the problem if Apple don't speed up their process. We do not know how to avoid/mitigate this yet and 1.9.0 is in danger of being the same. I wish I had better news.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd