You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Artboard background color does not adjust to light mode

• 2 months later...

I can confirm this issue. When working without Artboards, AD sets the UI including the background color matching the active Mac OS appearance (automatic or manual switching in macOs settings).When working with Artboards, AD sets the UI color correctly, but the Artboard background gets the opposite colors. Light UI -> Dark Artboard Background | Dark UI -> light Artboard Background. 

Long story short. It works perfectly when working without Artboards. With Artboards the Background colors are set wrong and need to be adjusted manually in AD settings. 

Dark.jpg

Light.jpg

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

Artboard background needs to be set manually for each mode first. It will then keep your setting and switch to whatever you have set it to.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

7 hours ago, loukash said:

Artboard background needs to be set manually for each mode first. It will then keep your setting and switch to whatever you have set it to.

Thank you very much. Obvious when someone shows me how. This has been driving me mad since Artboards were introduced. 

I feel like a fool because it is such a simple fix, and I am a simple fellow.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

1 minute ago, loukash said:

@Old Bruce, you'll be never too old to learn something new. Cheers! :)

Don't bet money on that, you'll lose more than you win. [an overly sly face emoticon] [overthinking simple tasks face emoticon] [believing I am smarter than I actually am face emoticon]

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

8 hours ago, loukash said:

Thank you loukash. I perform a few facepalms for myself and then I enjoy what I just learned... 

Affinity Suite 1.9.1 | Big Sur 11.6.1 | MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) | 2.9 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 | AMD Radeon Pro 460 | 1TB Apple NVME SSD | LG Ultrafine 5K

On 2/7/2021 at 10:13 AM, loukash said:

I tried and tested now for a few days, but it does not work. 

First, I set t the desired settings in AD Settings > UI Style for "light" and "dark". When switching manually between the two, the correct settings are applied, but when I activate "Default OS" and let AD switch the settings automatically when the os appearance of my mac changes, the Artboard background always gets the opposite color setting as shown in my screenshots. After the system once did a auto-switch, then the manual switching does not work either. It also sets the wrong (opposite) artboard background colors. I even adjusted the the settings when my mac was in the matching appearance. Set the dark settings in darkmode and the light ones in light. Does not help either.

Am I doing something wrong or does anybody else encounter the same behaviour?

55 minutes ago, ed lazer said:

but when I activate "Default OS" and let AD switch the settings automatically when the os appearance of my mac changes, the Artboard background always gets the opposite color setting as shown in my screenshots

Ah, I see.
I'm avoiding the Dark UI wherever I can, let alone letting the MacOS to decide for me; not available on El Capitan anyway. In Affinity I'm currently only using the Dark UI because of bugs affecting the Light UI that are hiding several important buttons and fields. Even though… that applies also vice versa. :/ So for me it's Dark UI in APu & ADe at the moment, Light UI in APh.

1 hour ago, ed lazer said:

Am I doing something wrong

That looks like a bug to me then.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• Staff

Am I doing something wrong or does anybody else encounter the same behaviour?

Hi @ed lazer :)

Can you please provide a screenshot of your Affinity Designer > Preferences > User Interface?

As mentioned above, there are 2 separate ''Grey Level' sliders, one for documents and the other for Artboards -

2d58d16c0bb148ada7578e8b64eb0d13.gif

This value will by default be set to lighter for the Dark UI and darker for the Light UI to distinguish quickly between artboard and non-artboard documents, but you can change this as you wish, so that your background grey level does not change at all between canvas to artboards.

I hope this helps!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

@Dan C, this appear to be the actual issue:

activate "Default OS" and let AD switch the settings automatically when the os appearance of my mac changes

• Staff

Thanks for that, but with the Artboard Background Grey slider manually set for 'Dark UI', when changing to 'Default OS' (my macOS is set to 'Dark' UI), the grey level does not change in Affinity, as expected.

Changing my macOS to 'Light' UI, the Affinity app updates to use the settings for 'Light UI' within Preferences > User Interface, again as expected.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing any bugs here currently, please can you expand on this for me if I have misunderstood? :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

8 minutes ago, Dan C said:

please can you expand on this for me

I can't tell at the moment while on El Capitan. I'd have to reboot my Mac to Catalina to check that out myself.

So far so good, the settings for dark and light apply on manual switching like they should. Now it is on Default OS. When MacOS now switches to dark or light mode, AD should switch to its dark or light setting automatically. But then the background does not get the correct settings. When switching to darkmode for example, AD switches to darkmode but the artboard background gets a light grey. And vice versa when switching back to light, it gets a dark grey background. But this occurs only when MacOS switches automatically depending on daytime. When I switch in MacOs Settings manually between dark and light, AD sets everything correctly. 

to reproduce this, macOs switch automatically depending on daytime. When I switch manually in macOs settings, all works as it should...

• Staff
10 minutes ago, ed lazer said:

this occurs only when MacOS switches automatically depending on daytime. When I switch in MacOs Settings manually between dark and light, AD sets everything correctly. 

Thank you for confirming that, this is the step I was missing!

I can confirm I've replicated this issue, and I'll get it logged with our developers now :)

8 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thank you for confirming that, this is the step I was missing!

I can confirm I've replicated this issue, and I'll get it logged with our developers now :)

Alright, thank you :)

• 3 weeks later...

There are no Artboards in Publisher (same in Photo), so there is no value to change for that slider. I dont know why its in the Prefs, it only makes sense in Designer...

If you open an AFDESIGN document in Publisher then you can use the Artboards in that document and the slider will change the background colour as expected.
However, as mentioned above, AFPUB documents normally (see below for exceptions) have no Artboards and so the slider will do nothing.

Edited by GarryP
Added clarification (after Walt's comments).

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

However, as mentioned above, AFPUB documents have no Artboards and so the slider will do nothing.

AFPUB documents can have artboards.

1. If you also own Designer and you use File > New from the Designer Persona in Publisher then you'll have an option to start out with an Artboard rather than pages.
    or
  2. If you own Designer (and thus have the Designer Persona available) you can use File > New from the Publisher Persona in Publisher, and as long as you do not create a Master Page and do not create more than 1 document page, the Artboard Tool in the Designer Persona will be able to create artboards.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1