You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

which Screen recording software are you using?

I've been using 'Screen to Gif' for the last two years but it is buggy and created anomalies sometimes on playback, plus when I try video recording it creates huge files since MP4 and MP3 are always inaccessible don't know why..  I have spent some time googling but it is a minefield and best thing I thought was just ask!  Prefer Free with no watermarks, 

Appreciate the recomendations in advance.  Thankyou.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

There are a bunch of tools available for such purposes, either for Win or Mac and also crossplatform. - For quick turnarounds I mostly use ...

• Monosnap (crossplatform, free single user)
  • Snagit (crossplatform, commercial)
  • ... but there are many more such tools available free and commercial ...

See also ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

Licecap is great if you don’t want any set-up hassle but the GIFs it creates can’t (usually) be paused or rewound so that can make it difficult for people watching to see what’s happening, without having to watch the same thing over and over again.
Personally I now use OBS Studio; any video I have posted in the last year will have been made with OBS.
On Windows laptops there are a couple of initial set-up oddities that may need to be addressed (depends on your machine) but once you are up-and-running you probably won’t need to change anything.
For demonstration purposes, like showing something on a forum or a tutorial, you can set the FPS to fairly low to reduce the file sizes – 3MB/min, or less, is not unusual and quite reasonable.

Note: Whichever you choose, make sure that it also records the mouse pointer, dialogs, pop-ups and menus as not all screen recorders (such as Windows Game Bar) do.

Thankyou all, I came accross  OBS studio a week ago and found it too complicated to even look at, definitely for the professionals.  Having deleted screen to gif I decided to re-install it,  they have improved a few things.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

OBS Studio can look a bit daunting, and there may be some set-up required, but you definitely don’t need to be a video expert to get it up-and-running (unless you have a strange hardware set-up).
The problems I had were because I have a laptop with two graphics cards and an external monitor. If you have a desktop machine with only one graphics card and one screen then you can probably use the software straight out-of-the-box.
Most of the options and features can be ignored if all you want to do is record what happens on-screen.
After I set things up I have not changed any settings and the only things I use are the Start/Stop Recording button and the Close button – I don’t really know enough about video editing to use anything else.

Screenflow, Camtasia or Snagit, the latter are from the same company I generally use Snagit for screenshots and Camtasia or Screenflow for video.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• 2 months later...
On 11/12/2020 at 8:18 AM, Chris26 said:

I've been using 'Screen to Gif' for the last two years but it is buggy and created anomalies sometimes on playback, plus when I try video recording it creates huge files since MP4 and MP3 are always inaccessible don't know why..  I have spent some time googling but it is a minefield and best thing I thought was just ask!  Prefer Free with no watermarks, 

Appreciate the recomendations in advance.  Thankyou.

ActivePresenter - the free standard version can record and edit, and output without any watermarks. License is only required if the videos are used for commercial purposes. Very similar to Camtasia. Has 80-90% of the same features, and you can use it for free. Edit, speed change, highlight, blur, zoom and pan, etc. Can output to MP4, GIF, AVI, etc, etc.

From some of your videos it looks like you use Windows so this should work great for you.

• 5 months later...