You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm not a newbie to illustrating, but what I would like to do in this particular instance has me a bit stumped on how to go about accomplishing it.  What I've made is a cartoon poodle dog and on the tail, chest, poofs on fur on the front legs, right ear, and top poof of fur on its head it has a lighter color that would, in effect, be where light would be coming from.  See in-line screenshots of fur example and tongue.

Are these areas made with the pen tool on top of the solid color of the fur?  And how does this area get made?  The lighter shade goes right up to the stroke color (black) of the fill color.  I'm hoping this is fairly easy to accomplish but I don't want to tear my hair out trying to get it done, either, and I would be okay with the fur and tongue being just a solid color with a black stroke.

Thank you in advance for your help.

image.png.f1505c74daff4612aa0f143eb0f86cc6.pngimage.png.2599d574acbaae9722aa14bbabd2cd93.png  

• Staff

Hi @bubbalicious,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
You can use layer clipping to place a shape of the lighter or shaded area "inside" another shape. See the clip below showing how you can do it dragging the lighter shape over the base shape in the Layers panel. Alternatively with the lighter shape selected (and above the base shape) you can also go to Layer menu, select Arrange > Move Inside.