You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Scanning negatives with DSLR's. Handling in Photo?

I didi that a little more than a year ago. I made a lightbox and a stand and took a picture of each and every photograh I had using my DSLR and a macro lens on a stand and a remote control. Then I did the same for hundered of color slides. It took a while but I does a much better job than with the HP scanner I had with the negative and slide adaptor.

I took all pîctures in JPG and used Affinity Photo for cropping and levels adjustments. But I think the most useful tools were the inPainting and Healing Brushes..... there is so much dust and particles on those pictures and slides once zoomed on your screen. Before each photo I cleaned them with a brush and a blower, but there is still a lot left. It's tedious job but it's worth it. Now all family members have copy of those pictures.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

2 minutes ago, AlainP said:

I didi that a little more than a year ago. I made a lightbox and a stand and took a picture of each and every photograh I had using my DSLR. Then I did the same for hundered of color slides. It took a while but I does a much better job than with the HP scanner I had with the negative and slide adaptor.

I took all pîctures in JPG and used Affinity Photo for cropping and levels adjustments. But I think the most useful tools were the inPainting and Healing Brushes..... there is so much dust and particles on those pictures and slides once zoomed on your screen. Before each photo I cleaned them with a brush and a blower, but there is still a lot left. It's tedious job but it's worth it. Now all family members have copy of those pictures.

Do you still use that method? And what camera lens setup did you use out of curiosity? I've only got an EOS4000D & a Sigma 105 macro lens. Everything seems pretty deadset on using a macro lens

What you have will do an excellent job. At that time I had a Canon EOS 80D and a Canon 100mm macro lens. You really need a stand and a remote trigger. Once the picture is centered on the stand (on which there are marks) and found the best adjustments on your camera. you're good to go. As I had so many b&w pictures of different sizes, I made sure the camera was adjusted for the larger size. For the smaller pictures you crop them in Photo. This way you are on a stable tripod, use a remote so you won't get blurry pictures, and you don't have to play with the focus for each picture. Once you found the best adjustments make sure you put it in Manual mode, so nothing changes till you're done.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"