You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer, creating shape from shape, but thinner?

Hi,

Maybe not the best description, but not sure how to make it more clear ;)

I'm trying to see if the following is possible in Designer:
I want to have the visual result of an object with a fill color and a outline color, but being two objects. This is easy to do when your objects are simple in shape.
But imagen a closed, curvy object drawn with the pen tool. I give it a fill and no stroke.
I now copy this object on top, but now want thisa one to be say 10pt. smaller on the border edge, so it follows the other shape precisely, but smaller. Like the one shape with a fill and border.

I ran into this a couple of times already. (imagen a curved bottle, with fluid inside that has to follow the bottle curves, but with some extra tweaks at the top of the fluid)
Maybe something like a expand/shrink on a pixel selection?

cheers!
rob

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

Hi,

Sounds like something that fits the bill. I might try that one. At least I'm not overlooking a tool in 1.8.5 ;)

rob

Windows 11 - 23H2 ⊕ ASUS PRIME X670E-Pro ⊕ AMD Ryzen 9-7900X ⊕ Arctic Liquid Cooler II ⊕ 64GB RAM ⊕ OS SSD Samsung 980Pro 2Tb ⊕ Cache SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1Tb ⊕ Video HD WD Blue 4Tb ⊕ Geforce RTX 3060 12Gb ⊕ BenQ SW270C ⊕ Dell U2412M ⊕ Affinity Photo 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Designer 2.3.x ⊕ Affinity Publisher 2.3.x

There might be a way to do what you want in 1.8.x, using the Appearance Panel and expanding some curves, (people have asked for this before so some techniques have been given elsewhere) but probably best to wait for 1.9.x to come out as a release, which hopefully won't be a long wait.

Hi,

Just played with the tool, and it's exactly what I want.
It's also a great way to separate fills for using them in 3D as separate objects.
Will be happy to see this arrive in 1.9 :)

rob