You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pixel Persona Symbol Links

oconn

MacOS: 10.15.6

Affinity Designer: 1.8.4

I've noticed there are a few bug reports around symbols and I'm not sure if this is related or new but hopefully it'll help debug. I've reproduced a minimal example. 

image.thumb.png.c3801369a99c7d0dc765c3f3603050a5.png

I've created two artboards and added a line using the Pixel Persona and a rect using Designer Persona to artboard 1 and made them both symbols. I then added a copy of the symbol to artboard 2. Modifying properties of the rect work as expected.

image.thumb.png.237468672c56c8d5ce838c9824826d05.png

Modifying properties of the line seem do not update as expected. 

image.thumb.png.6a32f463c0457352a9caa06974f5fd7d.png

Rotating the line seems to complete break and forces the line to disappear from artboard 2. The preview image however does show that the line has been rotated.

image.thumb.png.855d3a46aea1f92d07e8891aef7f7aa4.png

I'm not sure if this is supposed to work this way or not with symbols, but when the (Symbol) layer is selected (not the Rectangle or Pixel layer) and the object is rotated, it only rotates the instance of the selected element and none of the other symbols are adjusted.

image.thumb.png.4a6fc4d99e69644db3a088d44e98dd63.png

Thanks for the support, this one is causing some headaches in a project I'm revisiting.

• Staff

What you're seeing is a known issue with Pixel Layers that aren't correctly syncing across multiple symbols.

1 hour ago, oconn said:

I'm not sure if this is supposed to work this way or not with symbols, but when the (Symbol) layer is selected (not the Rectangle or Pixel layer) and the object is rotated, it only rotates the instance of the selected element and none of the other symbols are adjusted.

This however is By Design - transforms (rotation, scale etc) applied to the (Symbol) object are not transferred to other symbols. This allows you to be able to have the same symbol at all different scales and rotations, whilst still editing the contents. If you want the rotation to carry across to all Symbol objects then you need to modify to the contents inside the symbol.

Thanks for the quick response Sean!

For the purpose of reprioritizing my own work, is there a thread or system you could point me at to track progress and get a feeling for when I could expect symbols to work again?

Thanks again

• Staff
1 hour ago, oconn said:

Thanks for the quick response Sean!

For the purpose of reprioritizing my own work, is there a thread or system you could point me at to track progress and get a feeling for when I could expect symbols to work again?

Thanks again

Unfortunately our issue tracking software is internal so cannot be accessed to see the current progress of issues. However this particular issue has recently been fixed in the beta release of 1.9 so feel free to check it out, however please ensure you read the post below and be aware that saving any document in 1.9 will mean they cannot then be opened back up in 1.8. It is for this reason I would suggest working only on copies in 1.9.