You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

13 minutes ago, max1josef said:

When I place PDF-Documents into Publisher (Windows-Version), it complains about missing fonts

Well, I wouldn't accuse him of complaining, it's just a wee litte moan, he'll get over it..he is just trying to be helpful...😁  but the good news is that this is normal, publisher is simply telling you that the fonts in the pdf are not on your system, this is normal.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

That's a pity, but thanks for the answer. (Maybe an item for the wish list?).

BTW: even if a font is installed, text in imported PDF can get scrambled. I have a massive problem with the the font Segoe Script. I'll try to create a simple example and post a bug report.

22 minutes ago, max1josef said:

That's a pity, but thanks for the answer. (Maybe an item for the wish list?).

In the upcoming version 1.9x you can decide how PDF files can be handled: Passed through or editable. Maybe you want to give the latest beta a try (not compatible with 1.8)?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

OMG, I wasn't aware of this issue.
Just finished the layout of a 56 page magazine and when I started to place all the Booked Advertisement's just about every one displayed incorrectly (See example below)

I spent 3 hours online and in forum trying to find a solution. But apparently Version 1.8.5.703 will not place pdf's?
So now I have to recreate the whole thing again in Indesign!

I guess I must be naive - just expected it would be a standard feature. There was nothing in Help or Tutorials to suggest it would be a problem.
A great shame as I did enjoy using AP for the layout. Not a serious contender for commercial publishing until that is resolved.

Acrobat_96J4a2vB9R.jpg

11 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

In the upcoming version 1.9x you can decide how PDF files can be handled: Passed through or editable. Maybe you want to give the latest beta a try (not compatible with 1.8)?

I just tried it out and it actually works 🙂! I didn't find the the "pass through" vs. "editable" setting, but the default seems to be "pass through" and that is all I need!

And even the above mentioned bug is solved! 🙂

I'm really looking forward to the final release of version 1.9!

6 hours ago, ChrisNZAK said:

So how did you get it to work?

Actually working in the beta 1.9x.

46 minutes ago, Catshill said:

You will also find work around.

No more workaround needed, when 1.9x is released. ;)

8 hours ago, max1josef said:

I didn't find the the "pass through" vs. "editable" setting

Place the PDF, have it selected and then look at the upper toolbar.

passthrough.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

34 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Place the PDF, have it selected and then look at the upper toolbar.

Thanks for the hint (which helps me getting more and more familiar with Affinity's user interface). I don't need "Interpret"-mode so far, but good to know that it's there.

9 hours ago, max1josef said:

And even the above mentioned bug is solved! 🙂

Now that I know how to toggle between "Passthrough" and "Interpret", I have to partially revert this: the bug has no affect in "Passthrough" mode, but is still there in "Interpret" mode (as one could expect). So far no big deal for me, as I currently only need "Passthrough" mode.

PS: this support forum is really great. A big thank to all the patient and helpful users!

PPS

22 hours ago, Chris26 said:

Well, I wouldn't accuse him of complaining,

No offence intended! We use "Software complains" as a short colloquial expression for "Software reports an error/warning".

3 hours ago, max1josef said:

No offence intended! We use "Software complains" as a short colloquial expression for "Software reports an error/warning".

"... it complains about missing fonts,.."  I think you misunderstood me......So I do apologise, I was making a feeble attempt at trying to inject some humour into this statement by using the personal pronoun instead of the impersonal, you know, humanizing the computer.  And yep that failed, I was in a silly mood that moment, whoops.

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem with pdf opening in Publisher and fonts being substituted.  I downloaded the beta 1.9 920 and the problem is still there.   Nothoing on the toolbar and the doc opens as before with missing and substitued fonts.   If I go to LAYER and drop down to RESOURCES  I can see PASS THROUGH and INTERPRET but as these are greyed out - they are unavailable.   Now what do I do?

Thanks  Neal

17 minutes ago, Neal Sutton said:

I have the same problem with pdf opening in Publisher and fonts being substituted.  I downloaded the beta 1.9 920 and the problem is still there.   Nothoing on the toolbar and the doc opens as before with missing and substitued fonts. 

Passthrough is for Placed PDF files, not for Opened PDF files. It is used when you need to put a PDF file inside another document and just have it carried along (without editing) to the eventual PDF output that will be produced.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So whenever I open a pdf in Affinity it is going to mess with the fonts - even if they are embedded?  This is no good for placing pdf adverts in a magazine.  We couldn't possibly have every font imaginable and advertisers like their adverts used as they are provided to us and not altered.  Is there a way around this?  InDesign does not mess with the fonts.  I love Affinity but this could be a game changer  Please help 

55 minutes ago, Neal Sutton said:

Is there a way around this?

As Walt indicated, place the PDF file instead of opening it.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Neal Sutton said:

This is no good for placing pdf adverts in a magazine. 

It should work perfectly for Placing a PDF into a magazine; just not for Opening a PDF. Different options on the File menu, Place vs Open.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

9 hours ago, Neal Sutton said:

I have just found Hnet.com which is a free online pdf toJpeg converter and will convert to 300dpi so that will solve the problem for now.  I would far rather do it in Affinity though

Maybe Inkscape is a better and free alternative, you can open a PDF and convert it to curves. You can then copy&paste these to Affinity and continue editing.

8 hours ago, Void said:

Maybe Inkscape is a better and free alternative, you can open a PDF and convert it to curves. You can then copy&paste these to Affinity and continue editing.

I tried all the workarounds including Inkspace but I settled on the Ghostscript VBS script. It is very easy to use and has been reliable.

On 1/28/2021 at 12:03 PM, Neal Sutton said:

So whenever I open a pdf in Affinity it is going to mess with the fonts - even if they are embedded?

As far as I know, that's what the PDF developers wanted it to be. Fonts embedded in PDF files are there just for displaying the document correctly. Otherwise you could use any font embedded in any PDF without licensing/paying for it. For this purpose embedded fonts are even encrypted, I think. However strong this encryption may be...

So in this case, Affinity can't do anything about it (at least not without breaking the law).

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 10:25 PM, max1josef said:

... Otherwise you could use any font embedded in any PDF without licensing/paying for it....

So in this case, Affinity can't do anything about it (at least not without breaking the law).

This doesn't make sense though, the font can't be used to create new documents when it's in a PDF surely?

I've encountered this problem trying to place a PDF of a logo and strapline in a newsletter, even though all the text has been converted to outline and the PDF shows no embedded fonts in the Properties list, and yet the text has reverted to the default sans serif face! This is totally crazy, even if it's on Adobe's part.  

14 hours ago, feebee said:

This doesn't make sense though, the font can't be used to create new documents when it's in a PDF surely?

Agreed. But I could edit a PDF with the desired font in it, delete the original content and replace it with my own content - a little cumbersome but eventually saved hundreds of euros for font licenses...

BTW the same discussion went on in the Adobe Illustrator Forum. Here is the answer of an Adobe representative to someone who claimed, that in the past he could use embedded fonts in Illustrator (my emphasis):

Illustrator cannot use the embedded font in a PDF. And it never could, because it would have been illegal. So whatever happened, maybe it just didn't show the font as missing or maybe you had the font installed.

This confirms what I wrote earlier: Affinity can't do anything about it (at least not without breaking the law).

BTW if you read the linked thread completely, it turns out that it was actually possible in the middle age of computing (quote from an Adobe represantative, my emphasis):

Hi. You need have installed the font used in a PDF to be able to edit the text. Many years ago (like 2000) was possible to edit the text in PDFs without having the font installed (having the font embedded without subset) but that changed for legal issues.

And this was most propably for closing the loophole which I described above.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting, thanks. I feel for individuals who create fonts and need to make a living, but for fonts that have been around for many decades or even centuries it seems churlish for font founders not to make them freely available, at least for personal use. 

Fortunately the PDF Passthrough in the latest release of Publisher has worked perfectly. I'm trialling it for use with my church magazine which I've just started to edit and have now successfully placed a PDF ad in the document - thank you sooooooooo much Affinity! I'm a retired graphic designer only doing charity work now but as a former Quark Xpress user having to use Microsoft Publisher has been awful so this feature in addition to so many others in Affinity is a game changer for me.