You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher - Export PDF/X issue (ICCBased)

Hi, I have this huge problem.

So, I create a new page in APublisher, I insert text, pictures and all is fine. Then I want to export and I have 2 issues.

ISSUE 1 (PDF/X)

-If I try to export using PDF/X 1, 3 or 4 the "Dimension file" remains in "Calculating...". If I export without waiting the size of the file, it says there's a problem and it doesn't save the pdf.

ISSUE 2 (ICCBASED) < this is the most important

-In the Export window I set up everything as it should be and it saves the file.

-When I go to upload the file to the typography system it says there is a problem with the ICCBased as you can see in the image I uploaded.

What does it mean?

I tried everything but no success...

Schermata 2020-11-10 alle 17.47.17.png

Schermata 2020-11-10 alle 17.47.41.png

• Staff

You do need to wait while the app calculates the size before exporting, if this is taking a long time or seems to not allow exporting there may be an issue with something within the document. Can you DM me a link to the file so I can take a look.

The issue with the other system isn't really one we have control over. From what I understand from the message it seems to be looking for the ICC profile on each page. This isn't something I've come across before and I know PDF files exported from our apps have been sent to professional printers without issue. It may be worth contacting them to clarfy the exact issue/requirements of their system

On 11/13/2020 at 4:24 PM, Lee D said:

You do need to wait while the app calculates the size before exporting, if this is taking a long time or seems to not allow exporting there may be an issue with something within the document. Can you DM me a link to the file so I can take a look.

The issue with the other system isn't really one we have control over. From what I understand from the message it seems to be looking for the ICC profile on each page. This isn't something I've come across before and I know PDF files exported from our apps have been sent to professional printers without issue. It may be worth contacting them to clarfy the exact issue/requirements of their system

Hi  Lee D, thank you for your help.

this is the wetransfer with the file: https://we.tl/t-LXtKfsHH6Z

About the time, I tried to wait but after 2 minutes for one file I stopped it, because it's avery long time. 

About the other problem, much more important, I spoke with the typographer but he doesn't know AP so he couldn't help me in particular, but he told me that there must be an issue during the PDF process where the software includes with ICC profile that the automatic typography system doesn't recognize or signals as an issue. Anyway, he fixed this issue letting it go through the system, manually.

I tried every single automatic set up or else. I generally use the FOGRA39. I tried to not include the ICC profiles, I tried to include it, I tried using everything but nothing. The typography system works only if I send a white page with a single txt box in Helvetica. And, you know, this is too limiting.

2 hours ago, Lagarto said:

I think that the error is related to embedding an ICC profile in a print job that is pure-CMYK and accordingly a device-CMYK job (this is in error in Affinity apps; additionally, embedding a profile seems to disable overprinting instructions even when applied directly on a color swatch). Such jobs should not have an ICC profile included. If you use e.g. PDF/X-based exports, or uncheck "Integra profili", you should be able to get your print PDF through.

This is what my typographr told me. The problem is that if I try to use a PDF/X there is the infinite "Loading calculation" and it's impossible to have a PDF. So I have to use other setups (such as Acrobat 5 that he told me) and the same issue occurs in every case: with checked or unchecked "Integra profili".

2 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I could create without any problems a PDF/X-based exports so the problems might somehow be related to the linkded files (which I naturally did not have so they were ignored at export time). Try if replacing the linked files (with the originals) fixes the problem

In this screenshot there is what I mean saying "Calcolo in corso". This "loading" stops if I get rid of every text box. If I insert a text box, the "Loading" is there.

Anyway, I've done another try and I found out that the problem is the text box.

If I export a PDF without a text box and then I upload the PDF to the typography system everything is fine, even using these pictures (worked with APhoto). 

The problem is that I need text box, of course. I tried using the font I usually use with XPress or Photoshop (Breuer) and with a very common font (Times) as well. Nothing. The issue continues, even though there is a new advice (I attach the screenshot).

Schermata 2020-11-16 alle 14.15.04.png

Schermata 2020-11-16 alle 14.41.09.png