You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am sick and tired of using the color picker to select my paint color (which becomes the foreground color),

then selecting the brush icon to paint. But wait...

I have to go back and switch the background color to the foreground color.

Because when you select a tool, the app somehow thinks that you do not want to use the color that you just selected,

so it give you the other color that you did not select, to paint with.

Can someone please tell me how to resolve this issue, as preferences are pretty limited.

I merely want to use the same color I picked without having to keep changing it back and forth.

Thank you.

• Staff

Hi @DrNo,

Welcome to the forums :)

Can you please confirm for me, are you using Mac or Windows?

Which Affinity app are you referring to here?

Knowing the above will help me to offer the best advice for you. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that!

Whilst using the Paint Brush Tool (B) you can hold down the Option key to access the colour picker, then left click on the colour you wish to sample. This will both select the colour, and immediately apply it to your brush - so your next stroke will be using this colour.

Would this help your workflow? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks - I find that after selecting my tool, the color I select from the wheel is applied automatically, whereas, I was attempting to first select the active color, then my tool.

I'm sorry, but the option key, in itself, does nothing on my screen even when a tool is active.

But be that as it may, I now wonder what was the purpose for the color picker anyway? I guess that's best left to another post.

Thanks for you help.