You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hierarchical Table of content according to the new styles

Hello! 

I would like to create table of content from my new text styles, however I am not quite sure to make table of content hierarchical according to my newly created styles. With heading 1; 2; 3, the hierarchy is automatic. Is it something with next style and next level? I am confused from this... Thx!

Thank you for any help

Okay solved one part - You can edit Toc style1 and Toc style 2, however with every editting of toc style you need to update Table of contents, because all texts will be formated by previously changed to style.

However I am not quite still able to solve the order of styles. I am not quite sure what to do, if you want to have Toc style 2 above Toc style 1.   

1 hour ago, Amaroun said:

I am not quite sure what to do, if you want to have Toc style 2 above Toc style 1.   

I'm not sure what you mean by having Toc style 2 above style 1.  Can you clarify that?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

18 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure what you mean by having Toc style 2 above style 1.  Can you clarify that?

Well If I would like to change the order of styles in table of contents, what should I do? It seems to me that it is made alphabetically and there is no way how to change it that first will go heading 2 and than heading 1.

image.png.ddb66777242b64ca5bfa466d1e585c34.png

The names are irrelevant to the ordering. It's the characteristics and definition of the text styes that matters.

For example, if you look at the definition of Heading 1 you'll see that it specifies that the "Next level" is Heading 2. That's what determines that Heading 2 is subordinate to Heading 1:

next-level.png.278103cd9c9e6dc8738100cd10e0f8f7.png

The next thing that's important is the order of the text with respect to

• which page it's on,
  • and within a page, the headings in a text frame that is lower in the layer stack will appear before those higher in the layer stack.
  • and there's also an ordering related to pinning, but I need to do some more research on that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Your style order is a bit confusing because you have also said that Style 2 is "Based on" Style 1". I don't know if that would make a difference.

Please upload a copy of your sample .afpub document for us to examine; that may reveal something else.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry; I was busy with other things.

Your example of what you expected confuses me:

image.png.5681dc1c9bc5bcf8f825f79ab0bb93f2.png

You'll never see a TOC from Publisher in that order. TOCs are in page order (2, 3, 4, 5).

-- Walt
PC:

Yeah I know that is a not a perfect example, however my concern is still valid, I think. Imagine if you will do a new style for headings which will alphabetically lower than previsous heading, however you would like it use it as main heading (Because you are doing main headings as last during a workflow or whatever). It will cause a mess in Table of contents. Still, the headings order is according alphabetical order, because I didn't find any other solution.

However thanks for your time 🙂

Sorry, I'm still not sure I understand.

The order in the TOC is:

1. By Page Number. Headings on an earlier page are always before headings on a later page.
  2. Within a Page, by Layer order in the Layers panel (lower layers appear earlier in the TOC).
  3. Within a single Text Frame, by where the heading appears in the frame.
  4. And the ordering is also affected if you Pin a heading into a Text Frame. I don't recall how this works, though.

If you're adding headings later, probably point 2 applies, and you need to make sure that you insert them the right place in the Layers panel. But point 4 may also apply. None of this is based on the hierarchy of the text styles.

-- Walt
PC:

You're welcome :)

-- Walt
PC:

• 10 months later...

Sorry to pick up this matter again but I have a similar problem. I have created 2 styles. 1 for heading and 2 for the sub heading. My problem is that when I create a table of content they all appear on the same level without any indentation. I just want the sub chapter to be more on the right under the main chapter. How can I do this?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-16 um 23.58.58.png

He and welcome to the forums @Narada

Edit the ToC Paragraph Styles, specifically the one for ToC:2 or ToC:sub heading or whatever you named the Subhead.

To  do so you will need to use the text caret and place it in the line Sub chapter then use the Text Styles Panel to edit the highlighted Paragraph Style.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the answer. I don´t exactly understand what you mean. You mean editing the text style in the TOC? Because there is also another type of textstiles showing up when I click in the toc panel. I thought it is possible somewhere to define the order in which the different headings appear in the toc. And it does it automatically when I use the predefined heading styles. Then the indentation of heading 1 and 2 are right. But if I want to define another level heading 3 below the pre defined ones it doesn´t show as this in the toc. 

8 minutes ago, Narada said:

I thought it is possible somewhere to define the order in which the different headings appear in the toc. And it does it automatically when I use the predefined heading styles.

The location of Sub chapter and Chapter 1 in the ToC is determined by the location of the text in the text frame and then the Text Frames in the Document. 

If you have (in the pages of the book):

Chapter 1

sub chapter

lots of text lots of text lots of text lots of text lots of text 

lots of text lots of text lots of text lots of text lots of text 

then you are going to have Chapter 1 before sub chapter. If you want the ToC to show sub chapter above Chapter 1 then you will have to have two Text Frames, one with Chapter 1  and the other with sub chapter and now you can control the order in the ToC by putting one above the other in the Layers pane for that page.

Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

The order of the headings in the TOC is fine. My Problem is the indentation which is made automatically by the Publisher. But on what is it based? There must be some hirarchy behind it? But I can´t find it. Here I used the predefined headings from the program but there is no 3. predefined heading so I made a new style myself. But I expected it to appear to the right under the subheading 1. Which doesn´t happen. It´s on the same level as the main heading.

Use the Text Styles Paragraph Styles to edit the look of the ToC.

1757027370_ScreenShot2021-10-17at7_30_22AM.png.810da8d603247ab3f0a56418bd2fcb63.png

For the order of the items in the ToC use the layers pane to reorder items, the bottom is the first and the top is the last in the ToC.

1003567813_ScreenShot2021-10-17at7_33_18AM.png.829d25d6de31581f27edbd44e80e30bf.png

3 minutes ago, Narada said:

There must be some hirarchy behind it?

No.

Have you set up anything using the Text Styles Paragraph Styles?

You need to know how to do that before you can edit a Style.

No I haven´t set up anything yet. For heading 1 and 2 which are predefined by the program I just noticed that there is a gap in the text style panel. And I am pretty sure this gap represents the hierarchy of the text styles but I don´t know where to set this up.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 16.39.56.png

That is the preview feature, turn it off. 

1360737511_ScreenShot2021-10-17at7_46_21AM.png.4f5aebfbae5b53c3019a7e9b0f979e40.pngBeisp.... the second one.

Now just double click on one of the ToC styles

Thanks but you are editing the TOC manually. I mean that there is a way the program automatically makes the indentation for the chapters and sub chapters if you set the styles the right way. This is what I mean with the order. And I don´t know why there is no way in doing it.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-10-17 um 17.10.44.png