You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Why doesn't Subtract work in Designer?

I have a pretty simple example here. Trying to cut a hole in a shape using a smaller one. It doesn't work. The smaller object is deleted but has no effect on the larger, regardless of stacking order.

Project file attached. This is supposed to work, as demonstrated in Affinity's own video here: 

This doesn't work for me (Designer 1.8.4 on Mac OS 10.15.7)

subtracTest.afdesign

I changed the Fill mode on both to Alternate (Even/Odd) from Winding (Non-Zero). This is in the Layer > Fill Mode >... and it worked fine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the reply, and taking the time to do that.

But the fillable area is depicted as solid for both shapes; they don't have lines crossing themselves. Not to mention:

• This isn't mentioned in the documentation on boolean operations.
  • This isn't shown in the Affinity video.
  • That's a mighty obscure setting and description.
  • Why would it default to a fill type that renders these operations unusable?

I loaded the same file into Sketch and had the shape punched out in less than 10 seconds: Select the two layers and press Subtract. Done. So there doesn't appear to be anything ambiguous about the shapes that should require fiddling with an obscure fill-interpretation setting.

But since you know a thing or two, any idea about this one: 

Thanks a lot for the info.

That's disappointing. I don't know what the priorities are for the dev team, when so many fundamental functions don't work. You can't reliably combine shapes or do boolean operations, in addition to baffling UI-design mistakes... I'm pretty fed up with it.

On 11/10/2020 at 9:08 AM, Lagarto said:

way it works in Affinity apps, is unexpected at least from the point of view of needing to apply it in context of Boolean subtract operation.

In Affinity apps, the result of the Boolean operation inherits the fill mode of the lowest operand.

The most common reason for an object to have winding fill in an Affinity app seems to be that the object has been imported from a file created by another app, although converting Text to Curves sometimes results in winding fill.

4 hours ago, anon2 said:

converting Text to Curves sometimes results in winding fill

The ‘sometimes’ is presumably because the contours in a glyph are usually clockwise, but a contour is counterclockwise if it needs to be subtracted from another one (e.g. to form the counter, or ‘hole’, in the letter O).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

3 hours ago, Lagarto said:

However when the same is done with Inkscape, subtraction happens as expexted (with "hole"), but at the same time the fill mode stays as "Winding"), and changing the fill mode does not have any effect.

When the outer and inner paths of the result have opposing directions, both winding and alternate fill modes should produce the appearance of a hole cut out of the shape.

When the outer and inner paths of the result have the same direction, winding fill mode should produce the appearance of no hole, but alternate fill mode should produce the appearance of a hole.

4 hours ago, Alfred said:

The ‘sometimes’ is presumably because the contours in a glyph are usually clockwise, but a contour is counterclockwise if it needs to be subtracted from another one (e.g. to form the counter, or ‘hole’, in the letter O).

Maybe I should have said always instead of sometimes. I seem to remember a particular font was unusually being converted to Curve/Curves with alternate fill, but I may be mistaken.

Well, thanks for all that elucidation, people! This shape was loaded as an SVG, so the importation guess was right.

I still think the dysfunction exhibited here is ridiculous, since I was able to load the same image in Sketch and it somehow managed to do the expected thing instantly.