You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

7 hours ago, Stacey85 said:

Hello

I downloaded the Pecita font but none of it is joining up? I have tried the glyths but it don't seem to be working. Can anyone help? 

Hallo Stacey, unfortunately this font does not join up.  It is not like Lucidia for example.

https://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/pecita

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

3 hours ago, Chris26 said:

unfortunately this font does not join up

It looks as though it should do! Note the alternative glyphs in the ‘Pecita’ sample text on the Font Squirrel page:

17C62280-8DFB-4EDD-BC5D-8B9B79913571.png.654be1ab4dc4e263936c0909e370c739.png

D58BB2C2-B1C4-4A51-93FA-C53C7D001347.png.cb96caa8b6a20852d48f2ff064557d08.png

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

It looks as though it should do! Note the alternative glyphs in the ‘Pecita’ sample text on the Font Squirrel page:

Hi Alfred, I don't get it at all.  I am completely ignorant when it comes to the intricacies of font design and glyphs etc.  I looked again but all I see is separation?

Microsoft - Like entering your home and opening the stainless steel kitchen door, with a Popup: 'Do you really want to open this door'? Then looking for the dishwasher and finding it stored in the living room where you have to download a water supply from the app store, then you have to buy microsoft compliant soap, remove the carpet only to be told that it is glued to the floor.. Don't forget to make multiple copies of your front door key and post them to all who demand access to all the doors inside your home including the windows and outside shed.

Apple - Like entering your home and opening the oak framed Kitchen door and finding the dishwasher right in front you ready to be switched on, soap supplied, and water that comes through a water softener.  Ah the front door key is yours and it only needs to open the front door.

48 minutes ago, Chris26 said:

I looked again but all I see is separation?

The ‘c’ and ‘i’ are separate in the small (black text) sample but joined in the larger (white text) one. There’s also a clear difference between the two instances of ‘t’ and a subtle difference between the two instances of ‘P’.

Alfred spacer.png

30 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The ‘c’ and ‘i’ are separate in the small (black text) sample but joined in the larger (white text) one. There’s also a clear difference between the two instances of ‘t’ and a subtle difference between the two instances of ‘P’.

Ok out with the micro-fontascope...ah yes, thanks for   p o in t i n g   t h at   ou t  

The font appears to use OpenType Contextual Alternates (calt) and Ligatures (liga) to connect the characters to simulate handwriting.

Contextual Alternates and Ligatures are On by default, so there should be no need to select anything in the Typography panel.
It should just work.

A quick test on my phone appears to work properly:

Pecita-Medium-test.thumb.png.0d882791f6a585b869e95fcc5e5183fa.png

The appearance of transparency makes me suspect this is an SVG font, and you may just be seeing the fallback characters. Or an SBIX (bitmap) font, which would help explain the large file size. SBIX fonts can also have normal vector fallback characters.
I will check it tomorrow in APub and various font apps.

8 hours ago, LibreTraining said:

The appearance of transparency makes me suspect this is an SVG font, and you may just be seeing the fallback characters. Or an SBIX (bitmap) font, which would help explain the large file size. SBIX fonts can also have normal vector fallback characters.

Thanks for those observations, @LibreTraining. I wonder whether that’s why I don’t see a ‘Contextual Alternates’ option in AD on iPad. (On the other hand I do see ‘Standard Ligatures’, so there’s some inconsistency here.)

Alfred spacer.png

45 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

Did you download the version that is on FontSquirrel, as that has contextual alternates on by default

Yes, that’s the version I have, but I don’t see a control for the feature here.

AA5AA130-56BD-4829-B1BF-208DE5758C3E.thumb.jpeg.b561cd9dcb76347c96c3b8e75284365c.jpeg

9D78D070-48EF-4CDE-A4D5-38FA13C05143.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

10 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

I do not know iPad OS too well but I went through the rather cumbersome iFont routine that creates a configuration profile that needs to be accepted in Settings and given appropriate permissions, and then installed the font on the device.

I used the fairly straightforward route of asking the AnyFont app to create a configuration profile which I then installed via Settings.

Alfred spacer.png

Pecita is just a regular OpenType PS (.otf) font.
The larger file size is because it has 4,760 glyphs (4,754 characters).
Ligatures (liga) does not appear in the Typography panel (on Windows) because it is not used.
They used Contextual Alternates (calt) and Required Ligatures (rlig) instead.
Required Ligatures are, well, required ... so I assume that is why there is nothing in the Typography panel to turn them Off.

Tested in LibreOffice 7.0.3.1 (x64) and APub v1.8.5.703.
Seems to be working fine in both.
The image below is an Export to PNG from APub.

Font-Tests-Pecita-Medium-cropped.png.2c43443ce4393affd28508a93618704c.png

On 11/9/2020 at 1:51 PM, Stacey85 said:

Hello

I downloaded the Pecita font but none of it is joining up? I have tried the glyths but it don't seem to be working. Can anyone help?

It does have some odd settings ...
the style group subfamily is set to Book - should be Regular,
and the Width is set to Expanded - should be Medium (Normal) 
... but, those should not affect it as a single font, and it seems to be working.
We need more information to help.