You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have created some very simple vector objects. Some are on Artboards and some are not. Recently, when I select the object to export, the output saved (as PNG or JPG doesn't matter) often includes a random are of blank white space behind it, that was never selected. I have used Designer for several years and never had this problem until recently. Ultimately I have to crop what should be a clean image, down to the correct dimensions. The problem starts in the selecting process. Does not matter if I'm in Designer or Pixel Personas mode.  EX: If my selected object of choice is square, I will see the size box improperly showing as some rectangular dimension. Not even close to square. When saved, the resulting file show a huge rectangular area of empty space with the desired object in the lower right corner.  I understand not to select the entire workspace or artboard - I am only selecting the desired object.  This also happens with or without the background included.  It's clearly not right but I can find no help to fix it.  Please advise ASAP.  I am wasting a lot of time doing added work that I never had to before.

Export Settings w Image.png

Export Error w Blank Space.png

• Staff

Hi @ACPhillips,

Sorry to see you're having trouble!

I'm going to require a copy of your .afdesign file to investigate this further. Can you please upload this to the below link for me?

https://www.dropbox.com/request/OWn8whOecRiu07SMsOcT

Once uploaded, please reply here to let me know. Many thanks :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 10 months later...

I would like to resurrect this thread as I have the same issue, in that exporting a selected object from Designer brings with it extra spacing.

Images below show:

1. Selected for export
2. Opened export file in Photo
3. Example of previous export (without spaces) in earlier Designer version, compared to the present.

Specs: Win 10
Designer Version:  1.10.1.1142

affinity_designer_selected_object.jpg

exported_object_opened_in_photo.jpg

exported_object_compared_to_earlier_version_result.jpg

Music Makers Master 6b.png

Edited by EddieBT

• Staff

Hi @EddieBT,

Welcome to the forums :)

Sorry to hear you're having trouble here. Can you please attach a copy of your .afdesign file to your reply, alongside a screenshot of your Export settings, including the 'More...' dialog for me?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Many thanks for providing this for me!

If you tick Flatten Transforms in this export dialog, you should find the exported SVG is the same size as your AD document :)

svg_export.svg

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

My sincerest apologies, I had not realised that Affinity had re-defaulted to Area: Whole Document when I exported this file again with Flatten Transforms enabled - you're correct in the above observation that this has not changed the export. :$

I can confirm this is happening due to the Mitre value set to 10 for the Curve object, which is pushing the export size to be much larger that expected.

The Mitre value can be set to 2, without affecting the appearance of the Curve - once this is set you should be able to use the SVG (for export) preset with Area: Selection Only to export the SVG without this additional space.

This is logged with our developers as a bug, so I will be sure to 'bump' this report for you now. I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hello,

Did this ever get resolved ?

I am using Affinity Photo and almost every time I have been doing some cropping and export the result, spurious blank areas appear in the exported jpg file.

Also, today I open a jpg file, did a simple resize, and exported the result and again the blank space appeared in the output.

• Staff

Hi @csleightholme,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

If your issue is not relating to SVG export or Mitre limits, I'm going to need a copy of your Affinity document, in order to investigate this further.

Can you please provide a copy of your .afphoto file, the exported JPEG file, and a screenshot of your JPEG Export settings, including the 'More...' options?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!