You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very large file crashes on opening

Hi, I've been trying to open a file that crashes Publisher every time. I was able to work as expected on this file some months ago, but didn't have to open it until lately. It's a very large file: 1.93 Go… I honestly can't remember if it was this heavy when I could open it back in April and/or why it got so large (you can check its last exported PDF attached). I get no error message, Publisher just hang on for a while before crashing.

I'm currently on MacOS 10.15.7 with a MacBook Pro (can't remember exactly but probably updated since the last time I worked on the file), with Affinity Publisher 1.8.4 PK installed.

The file is currently sitting in a Dropbox folder so I can easily share it with you, in your Dropbox or mine, whichever suits you best.

Thanks for your help!

TropheeDore_1.1.pdf

Hi @nicolasfolliot Thanks for the document. I have managed to open it in both Publisher 1.8.4 and also Publisher Beta 1.9.0.829. The only difference I can see is that I am still on MacOS 10.15.5 so I wonder if the issue is to do with updates.

I will see if any of my colleagues that are on MacOS 10.15.7 are able to open it and get back to you.

So first of all: thanks! I can now open it, but only with the beta version of Publisher – I figured that's what you exported it with. I could work with that, but is there any way I could export it again to open it with the standard version of Publisher? Just in case I wouldn't want to be stuck with the beta on this file.

I have just uploaded it for you.

There is something you could try though. It looks like I was only able to open the file as the link to the assets folder was broken as you didn't send them to me. So you could try renaming the folder that the assets are kept in to break the link and you might be able to open the original document yourself. This would be useful to know in case you ever experience this again in the future.

Well… great hunch! I moved out all assets folders and was able to open the original file. I then moved back and replaced every asset file and could save a new version file, which went down from 1.93 Go to 10.1 Mo…

So that was the perfect solution, thank you very much for your efforts and advice!