You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

thumbnails and Opening afphoto files

Hi

As a Newbie, Can anyone help me understand why

1. .afphoto icons on desktop do not have a pictorial thumbnail as do .jpg etc?????

2. when I double click a afphoto icon, I get a message saying my 'Designer' trial has ended and takes me straight to the affinity designer website..  I may well get designer eventually but I've got my hands full learning photo at the moment.  Why won't the double click just take me to Affinityphoto????

Thanks in advance

Bob

Hi Bob,

As one Newbie to another: I can't answer as to why the .afphoto icons on your desktop do not have a thumbnail but I should be able to answer your second question. If you click once on an icon and then select Command-I you can then specify that you wish to open with Affinity Photo. The double click should then work.

Regards,

CPP

Thanks CPP

I tried it and it worked.  It also enabled me to change all future opening of .afphoto to the same process.

Am I stupid or ??????.   Is there any link to basic things like this - I need an idiots guide as I am new to photography, let alone the programme

Thanks again

Hi Bob,

No you're not stupid. The answer in this case is not specific to Affinity or to photography but to OSX. If you search for Mac shortcut keys you will find the following on an Apple support website:

Finder shortcuts

Shortcut           Description Command-D Duplicate the selected files. Command-E Eject the selected disk or volume. Command-F Start a Spotlight search in the Finder window. Command-I Show the Get Info window for a selected file.

As you can see Command-I shows the Get Info window which among other things allows you to specify what app opens particular files.

Regards

Thanks for that CPP - I have downloaded the info for future use.

I am a newbie to Mac as well as Affinity, which you can probably tell.

I'm still bugged that I cannot see a thumbnail picture for .afphoto extensions and I am going to post again to see if i have any luck

Thanks again

Bob